Wording for a plaque

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
Some of you may remember that I lost a daughter in 2018. We built a new field for the High School and now it has been decided to name the field for her. We will install a plaque in the dugout, but what to write and how to write it has me stumped. I’ve revised it 3 times but my wife still says its “not appropriate for a plaque”. Maybe too wordy?
if you can offer some Constructive criticism, I would appreciate it. Dont be shy, you wont hurt my feelings.😝
Thanks!

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do, it comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.” This is the quote Meghan chose to share in her senior yearbook. She was the kind of person who lit up a room and made everyone feel good just by being there. Teachers and coaches loved her. Even when they lost to her team, opposing coaches couldn't help but respect the passion and joy she brought to the game. As one of her coaches said, she was “that kid with the million-watt smile!”

She was raised in Wakefield and was a graduate of Wakefield High School, Class of 2018. She loved all sports but was an avid softball player where she excelled in Little League, High School Varsity and on her 18U Junior Olympic team. She could play every position and played each one like it was her only position.

Her plans were to continue her softball career playing D2 ball at Saint Michael's College in Vermont, where she would pursue a degree in education. She was very knowledgeable about the game, which enabled her to run pitching clinics and teach private lessons while still in high school. These experiences led her to discover a love and gift for teaching.

There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains. - Unknown

Sep 7, 2020
At face value I have to disagree with your wife. I would like to know what her reservation is with it. To me, these are words that spoke to your DD enough to want them tied to her forever. They are powerful and should be contemplated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2019
I like the quote and it's something that she felt spoke to her if she shared it in the yearbook.

I agree with RAD that it would be great to have it in a place where everyone could see.
Of course it depends and layout of the area but I envision it being behind the backstop on a stand in the shape of home plate.

Sep 7, 2020
I like the quote and it's something that she felt spoke to her if she shared it in the yearbook.

I agree with RAD that it would be great to have it in a place where everyone could see.
Of course it depends and layout of the area but I envision it being behind the backstop on a stand in the shape of home plate.
This exactly. Or on the pathway to the field if there isn't room behind home.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2015
New England
That's a great honor for you and your daughter. She must've had a great impact on those she touched.

As for what's appropriate for the plaque, I'd expect to be given a word count. How much will fit on the plaque in question? What's wordy or not is a matter of opinion, but the size of the plaque is not.

Also, I can't second-guess the placement of the plaque without knowing more. At the entrance reaches more people, but in the dugout reaches them more personally and serves as a constant inspiration to the players.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021
That's a great honor for you and your daughter. She must've had a great impact on those she touched.

As for what's appropriate for the plaque, I'd expect to be given a word count. How much will fit on the plaque in question? What's wordy or not is a matter of opinion, but the size of the plaque is not.

Also, I can't second-guess the placement of the plaque without knowing more. At the entrance reaches more people, but in the dugout reaches them more personally and serves as a constant inspiration to the players.
I agree here. That message is tremendous and deserves to be in a more communal location of the diamond. If it is in the dugout, maybe keep it to her quote as an inspirational message for the home team. But I have no issues with the original message and would display it so all the visitors can see.

Feb 8, 2019
Thank you all for your input and help! I didnt get notified that i had responses or else i would've written sooner.
the facility had previously been named when they removed a BASEBALL field and threw up a quick softball field in the vicinity (behind a school) and gave it the name of the baseball field.
we turned the second-rate softball field into a first-rate HS Varsity field and many of those involved thought it should be named for Meghan.
long story less-long- we shared the name so now the field is officially “Blatz Park/Meghan Burnett Field” so it can be called by either name and be correct. The high school is officially recognizing it as “Meghan Burnett Field” and the DPW that maintains all the fields can continue refering to it as “Blatz”
so there will be one plaque for each of them.
the dugout location may be temporary, providing an up close and personal view by the players and coaches. But at least its a start.
I’ll try to post before and after pictures of the field.
thanks again for all the valuable input- you may have saved my marriage!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles