Who is right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Situation: 13U player, 3-4 years of lessons with her pitching coach, throws 47-50 (pocket radar). First year on my travel team, but 4th year of travel ball.

We had our first pitching session last week at practice. I made the following observations and recommendations of what she needed to work on.
1. Observation - she is throwing with a straight arm pushing the ball not whipping it; recommendation - need to get a loose arm and have a slight bend as arm crosses past head, palm facing to third (righty) and lead down the backside with elbow and once elbow reaches rib cage whip the forearam and hand rotating inward to the hip and follow through across the body.

2. Observation - she is walking through at the end of the pitch, ending with her drive leg stepping through 12-18" past the stride foot land position; recommendation - need to land and drive back on strong front leg, driving back knee to front knee and closing hips to 45 degrees, but NOT step through.

Player is distraught - pitching coach spent year straightening her elbow and has never said anything about her walk through. I am the new guy and how can her old coach be wrong after all these years?

So experts - please chime in and if I am all wet tell me so, and if I am right please confirm. (Full disclosure - I also give pitching lessons but am 100% booked with no need of new students )Thanks

(I plan to print this and give to parent and player so please respond with that in mind, thank you)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Based purely on your description ... you would be correct.

The kid spent a year working hard and would like to believe on the correct things. The parents spent money on lessons ... and there is a tendency for humans to place higher value on what they spend money on. Reality can be a bitter pill sometimes. Important to be able to reevaluate and move on.

Wish the best to all involved.

35hlhrk.gif

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A long loose arm, is a quick arm. And you must have resistance from your front leg to create velocity. The pitch that you describe may well lead to back and shoulder pain in your pitcher.

Good luck. I hope for the best with her.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Video evidence and a soft touch when approaching this. I don't think the first conversation is with the kid as the conflicting instruction is just confusing. I would talk to the parents and ask permission to talk to the PC. Then find out the PCs philosophy and why they are teaching this way. You might even find that the PC is trying to accomplish the same thing and the kid just does not get it. If it turns out to really be "who is right" the let the video of the kid and some top level pitchers make your argument for you.

Jul 26, 2010
Use RVP and put her side by side with some elite pitchers. I've never had to do any "convincing" of either student or parent since doing this. I'm sure bat-swing coaches would agree.

-W

Oct 22, 2009
fastpitch91, I feel for you, I had a student of mine who was 12, and in the high 40's, move on to another PC that taught the style of the pitcher you showed the video to, only this pitcher takes a couple of more steps forward. She is 14 now and maintaining mid 40's. Also cannot throw a change-up anymore.

I would also suggest you talk to her and her parents and ask them if you can show them video's of the elite pitchers. It may or may not help, they may really like their PC, and their PC may be a really good salesman like the one I almost lost one of mine to the dark side to, telling her parents it's "his way" that all the elite pitchers pitch.

And like JJ said, whenever I get a student from another PC, and I'm doing an evaluation and they are doing something I don't agree with, I always ask; "What did your other PC say about that?" Sometimes they say, "We were working on fixing it", and sometimes they say, "That's the way I'm suppose to do it". That helps a lot when trying to correct an issue. Either the pitcher needs more help correcting something or they need more education.

I'd say best approach it gently, try to educate and if they are not willing to be on board, then you can't say you didn't try.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Situation: 13U player, 3-4 years of lessons with her pitching coach, throws 47-50 (pocket radar).
Player is distraught - pitching coach spent year straightening her elbow and has never said anything about her walk through. I am the new guy and how can her old coach be wrong after all these years?

The facts are the facts:

She is falling behind. 50MPH should be her *slowest* pitches, not her fastest. If she doesn't make changes, this is going to be her last year pitching.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
50MPH should be her *slowest* pitches, not her fastest. If she doesn't make changes, this is going to be her last year pitching
Really? At 13U they pitch that fast? (not a criticism, a question)
I saw a very fast (U18) pitcher being scouted and I asked the scout what she was getting for speed readings on her gun and it was only 52-54 mph. it's been a few years since I've been to an NPF game to compare her to, but she was throwing really hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA