Where does Yukiko Ueno rank among the all-time greats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 7, 2021
Since it is hard to compare position players to pitchers, I'm just going to name pitchers. When discussing Great Pitcher of All Time, the names that get brought up, in no particular order, are something like Monica Abbott, Cat Osterman, Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez, Michele Smith, etc.

Does Yukiko Ueno deserve to be mentioned among those names? How would you rank them? I don't think there are any wrong answers.

Jul 27, 2021
Ueno has to rate as the best ever. She has been good for a very long time.

Lisa Fernandez and Michelle Smith pitched in the "white ball/dead bat" era. Both were great pitchers, but it is hard to say how successful they would be today.
Agreed that even when looking at the stats the game has changed so much that its hard to do a fair comparison. The technology of the equipment alone from then to now is interesting to think about.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
RAD, here in the good ole awesome United States of America, us softball nuts are conditioned to love and judge everything softball related to the WCWS.

Ueno has just dominated the World stage since what…..1996? I think that’s when she made her debut?

Jun 8, 2016
Agreed that even when looking at the stats the game has changed so much that its hard to do a fair comparison. The technology of the equipment alone from then to now is interesting to think about.
Only thing you can do is compare how dominant they were compared to their peers. Something like ERA+ is used in baseball for this..

Jun 8, 2016
fivethirtyeight uses something a bit more advanced to rate pitchers at their peak called the Elo rating (they do this for teams too):

Alliance actually uses this to rank the teams.

Feb 25, 2020
I think Monica Abbot is the best female pitcher ever. Id be interested in the Japan League stats more than the olympic stats.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06