When does inning start / end?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
I'm pretty sure I saw this posted but a search on here I found nothing. Can someone point me to the rule that says the next inning starts at the time the 3rd out is made?

May 13, 2008
In ASA it is part of Rule 1 - The Definitions.

INNING. An inning is that portion of a game within which the teams alternate on offense and defense and in which there are three outs for each team. A new inning begins immediately after the final out of the previous inning.

It is also reiterated in Rule 5, Section 10, which covers the time limits.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2009
NE
Thanks for the help - So I would be right in saying if the 3rd out is made in the bottom of the inning and time is still available the next inning must start - even if time expires before my pitcher throws a warm up pitch?

The last part is the true question - Does the pitcher have to throw a pitch in warm up before the timer beeps?

May 13, 2008
Thanks for the help - So I would be right in saying if the 3rd out is made in the bottom of the inning and time is still available the next inning must start - even if time expires before my pitcher throws a warm up pitch?

The last part is the true question - Does the pitcher have to throw a pitch in warm up before the timer beeps?

By rule, no. Unless the game is being played under a drop-dead time limit.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The top of the first inning is the lone exception to the rule. It begins when the umpire announces, "Play!".

All the other half-innings begin the instant that the previous half-inning ends. For example, it is the bottom of the second inning. The third out is made. At that exact instant, we are now in the top of the third inning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06