What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2010
Picked DD up from school and teacher came out to tell me she bent two fingers backwards while at PE today. Naturally it's her throwing hand and we have a game in approx. 4 hours. She says she can pitch, we've taken ibuprofen and are icing it now, but it's obvious it's bothering her.

Would you make other arrangements for pitching rotation or take a wait and see approach? BTW, this is 10U and the other options are not very solid.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If there is any chance of hurting herself more, she should not pitch. Otherwise why not, if she wants to give it a try I would let her.

Mar 13, 2010
Glad she sat out.

If a child injures herself then it is up to the parents and coach to sit them down. At 11 I ripped my hand open on my grandparents rose bush the day before regionals. I didn't tell my coach and told my parents I was fine. Second game I was put into pitch. Thankfully (to me!) it was spitting, so the coaches couldn't see the tears but every pitch was pure agony. But I WANTED to pitch and I was pitching very good (for an 11 year old) Walking off after the first dig, got the usual high five coming off when my coach felt the band aid. Saw my hand and pulled me straight off. Was furious with my parents for not letting them know. By the end of the game my hand was double it's size.

Kids WANT to play, they aren't mature enough to sit themselves down.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Its 10U not the make or break game of CWS. Sitting
her is the right choice and a great opportunity for the #2 to gain
some confidence with a start. Hope you were able to sit back and enjoy the game

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
2 things went right here.
1. You want your pitcher to want the ball. A competitive kid would drag her leg behind her telling you she is fine enough to pitch.
2. Someone made the decision that she was not in the right condition to play.

Both things are good in the long run. One of the harder things to teach to a competitive kid is when to sit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw