What should we do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
I agree... Don't stop hitting. Girls fastpitch is a tough world for pitchers. It's not like baseball. Only a few pitchers per squad get any innings in fastpitch. My older daughter is a decemeber kid. She was always tall enough so it whas hard to tell she was youngest but she was. She always wanted to pitch. She pitched travel ball in 5th and 6th grade and was the third pitcher in our area. She also wanted to play on a top level A team and I had talked to her about it. She had a very good bat and made the team at 3rd base. That was five years ago. She pitched school ball in 7th and 8th grade on the Freshman team and became the best pitcher in our school for two years but was still not going to progress far enough to pitch in college. But she kept hitting. She will be signing next week to play DII softball in college.

My younger one is 13 and 14 in February. She started pitching even younger and had more natural ability. She went on a top level team as a first year U 12 and didn't get the pitching time she should have (the 2 coaches daughter's pitch, and we lost alot). We left and it was the best thing for her. As a second year U12 last year, she had a great year. She was the number one pitcher and got many innings. She throws 50-53 with a good change, curve and a drop that is good when it's on (not always on). Yet, with that success, we still hit alot. The one thing my older daughter and I heard all year this year during the recruiting process was IF YOU CAN HIT we'll find room for you. The younger one finished her last fall ball game and was 5 for 6 with 3 doubles. That was against the U14 team we played. She won the game too but I really loved watching her swong the bat.

Good luck

Dec 19, 2008
I appreciate the responses so far. We are still undecided. This is really tough. One thing I had thought of is, since the team will only be playing in 5 or 6 "select" tournaments next spring, and then a national, is it viable for daughter to stay, and play in another sanction on another team to get her pitching time? Has anyone done this?

Team has great opportunities ahead of them this coming year. And, since they would be moving to 16U next fall, and daughter would stay in 14U, is it a good idea, or would it hurt if she stayed to take advantage of some of these opportunities till the end of the season?

I still have some time, and would really like to see how she progresses through the winter.

*Sluggers, I pm'ed ya.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32