What should we do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
Daughter played with her 12U team in "B" travel ball in fall of 08' and spring of 09'. She was their main pitcher and threw probably 80% of the games. This fall they were picked up by an organization as a 14U "A" team, and they have a 16 Gold and 18 Gold team.

Now keep in mind, my daughter is 12 and has to play 14U. She got a fair amount of pitching time this fall, but she is no longer the #1. They now have a 14 year old pitcher. Daughter and I are fine with that, and totally understand. We just planned on working real hard on what she lacks, and that is speed.

Tonight, I got a call from the coach and he told me they picked up another 14year old pitcher, who throws even better than the other 14 year old. He basically said he would not cut my daughter, but the pitching time would go down. So, thinking that daughter would work extra hard, and the fact that she would have to wait her turn, these 14 year old girls would have to move up to 16U next fall. Well, I was told the whole team would be moving up to 16U next fall.

So, do we stay with this organization and hope for the best, or is it time to move on? The organization has a long history of getting the girls college scholarships, and my daughter wants to pitch in college.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My advice is to find another team.

Your DD is at the "make or break year". Some kids become better at 13, others don't. She could grow 6 inches and become the next Monica Abbott (Abbott didn't even start pitching until she was 12.) Or, she may find that she is better suited to playing the tuba (which is what my DD#2 did). You'll never find out with her sitting the bench.

SO:

Over the next year, either (A) your DD will get good enough to be one of the top pitchers on the team or (B) your DD will not be good enough to be one of the top pitchers.

If (A) is correct, the coach has proven that he will most likely pick up your DD for next year. If (B) is correct, then your DD should find another team anyway.

So, go have a nice chat with the coach, and part on good terms.

Dec 19, 2008
My advice is to find another team.

Your DD is at the "make or break year". Some kids become better at 13, others don't. She could grow 6 inches and become the next Monica Abbott (Abbott didn't even start pitching until she was 12.) Or, she may find that she is better suited to playing the tuba (which is what my DD#2 did). You'll never find out with her sitting the bench.

SO:

Over the next year, either (A) your DD will get good enough to be one of the top pitchers on the team or (B) your DD will not be good enough to be one of the top pitchers.

If (A) is correct, the coach has proven that he will most likely pick up your DD for next year. If (B) is correct, then your DD should find another team anyway.

So, go have a nice chat with the coach, and part on good terms.

Do we do this now? Daughter has just ended week one of a 6 week pitching break (although she has started leg and core strengthening). Plus the team is on their break as well. Or should we wait and see until we get closer to the end of winter?

Also, what about playing on this team, and playing on another team where she would get pitching time?

Just trying to weigh her options.......and don't want to make the wrong decision. As you said, this is the make or break year.

May 13, 2008
Do we do this now? Daughter has just ended week one of a 6 week pitching break (although she has started leg and core strengthening). Plus the team is on their break as well. Or should we wait and see until we get closer to the end of winter?

Also, what about playing on this team, and playing on another team where she would get pitching time?

Just trying to weigh her options.......and don't want to make the wrong decision. As you said, this is the make or break year.

If she plays 14U "A" ball in ASA she is locked in to that age level and class for that year, at least as far as ASA goes. She cannot, for the rest of the year play down (not 12U A or B, or 14U B).

If your DD wants to pitch you should find a team for her to pitch on now. This is a critical age in developing a pitcher and it can't get done if she doesn't get time in the circle.

Dec 19, 2008
If she plays 14U "A" ball in ASA she is locked in to that age level and class for that year, at least as far as ASA goes. She cannot, for the rest of the year play down (not 12U A or B, or 14U B).

If your DD wants to pitch you should find a team for her to pitch on now. This is a critical age in developing a pitcher and it can't get done if she doesn't get time in the circle.

DD has to play 14U. She turns 13 this month. So, she is "locked" into "A" ball? That makes it even more tough. Hate to leave ASA, but there are no other "A" teams anywhere close to us. 2 and 3 hours away.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Izzy's Dad, you want to leave the team on good terms. The coach had no problem going out shopping for other pitchers. So, I would make inquiries and find another team. As you as you've got one lined up, tell the coach politely and move on. Make a clean break, and don't look back.

The coach is telling you, quite clearly, that your DD is not good enough to pitch on his team. Right or wrong, fair or unfair--that is what he is saying. So, it is time to move on and find a better fit. The coach could be dead wrong. (My DD was rejected by more coaches than I care to name--yet, she ended up becoming a big dog D1 pitcher, while most of the others ended up watching the game from the bench or stands.)

As CS said, your DD needs to pitch. You just don't want your current coach bad mouthing you.

May 13, 2008
DD has to play 14U. She turns 13 this month. So, she is "locked" into "A" ball? That makes it even more tough. Hate to leave ASA, but there are no other "A" teams anywhere close to us. 2 and 3 hours away.

My bad, my eyes scimmed over the 12 part and I thought that she was still 12U eligible. Yes, your DD is locked into A ball if she has already played in a A-level qualifying tourney.

I'm going to backtrack a little and push it back on you. If you were honest with yourself and were viewing this from the coach's perspective or a non-interested party point of view, where would you rank your DD?

If your DD's heart is set on pitching she needs to be pitching. If she won't crack the top 2 in the rotation then she likely won't pitch much. Your DD's coach was honest enough to tell you where she ranked. Only you can answer whether or not you can live with that.

Dec 19, 2008
Izzy's Dad, you want to leave the team on good terms. The coach had no problem going out shopping for other pitchers. So, I would make inquiries and find another team. As you as you've got one lined up, tell the coach politely and move on. Make a clean break, and don't look back.

The coach is telling you, quite clearly, that your DD is not good enough to pitch on his team. Right or wrong, fair or unfair--that is what he is saying. So, it is time to move on and find a better fit. The coach could be dead wrong. (My DD was rejected by more coaches than I care to name--yet, she ended up becoming a big dog D1 pitcher, while most of the others ended up watching the game from the bench or stands.)

As CS said, your DD needs to pitch. You just don't want your current coach bad mouthing you.

I would leave on good terms. Daughter loves every girl on this team, and wife and I love all the parents and coaches. They are a great group. That's what is gonna make it even harder. We have found a rare thing in a team and hate to lose it. But, yes, daughter needs to pitch. This is her passion. I ask her if she wants to stop many times throughout the year. Hell, I've even asked her to stop (would save me alot of money). but this is what she wants to do.

Dec 19, 2008
My bad, my eyes scimmed over the 12 part and I thought that she was still 12U eligible. Yes, your DD is locked into A ball if she has already played in a A-level qualifying tourney.

I'm going to backtrack a little and push it back on you. If you were honest with yourself and were viewing this from the coach's perspective or a non-interested party point of view, where would you rank your DD?

If your DD's heart is set on pitching she needs to be pitching. If she won't crack the top 2 in the rotation then she likely won't pitch much. Your DD's coach was honest enough to tell you where she ranked. Only you can answer whether or not you can live with that.

I know daughter isn't on the level of the other 2 pitchers, and I don't expect a 12 year old to be with two 14 year olds. Worlds apart in physical and mental capability. Pitching is her passion, not mine. If I had my way, it would be all about hitting. But this is what she wants to do.

Oct 18, 2009
November birthdays are tough in the world of softball. She will always be competing with girls potentially almost a year older (in this case almost 2 as a 1st year 14u).

Is there a 12U team in the organization moving up to 14U next fall that she could potentially join after this season?

Are there other ways to get innings in? Little league? School teams? town teams? My DD is younger playing up on a team where she would probably never pitch except maybe a blow out, but gets all the innings as number one on her Little league team/ and town team as she strives to move up the ladder on her club team. Knowing she isn't the best motivates her to get better. Maybe one day she will get that top spot. Maybe she won't. The way I see it if she doesn't ever get that top pitching spot... it wasn't meant to be. Everyone can't all be number one pitchers. Scholarships are given for other positions too. Talent will eventually show through.

Don't stop working the hitting.

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32