what is legal for a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I don't know if I phrased that right.

I know that if 2nd base is open when the batter is walked, they can steal 2nd as long as they don't stop at 1st.

BUT

What if you have a runner on 2nd & 3rd, when the batter is walked? Can the runner on 3rd steal home?

Jun 22, 2008
Your question has so many variables that could happen it would be next to impossible to cover all of them. The look back rule is not in effect until the batter/runner reaches 1st base. Runner at 3rd can stand off the bag until the batter/runner reaches 1st, but then must immediately choose to advance or return. If the pitcher makes a play on one of the runners, the look back rule is off.

As long as the runner on 3rd does not violate the look back rule, yes they can steal home.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I guess I always thought it was a dead ball once the batter was walked. I have never seen a steal from a runner other than the batter before (on a walk) and this had people in both stands thinking the runner on 3rd should have stayed put.

Jun 22, 2008
The ball is always live in softball unless it is a foul ball or the umpires declare a dead ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My answer went poof, so if this is a double post, forgive me.

Your local league may have a rule that you can't steal home. Other, than that, be ready to steal on a wild pitch, passed ball or if the catcher overthrows the pitcher.

You could have a delayed steal, when the catcher releases the ball, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan