What age did you buy a nicer catcher's mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2022
Did you wait until moving to 14U or perhaps freshman year for going with a nicer/upper-end catcher's mitt?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We went with a Rawlings Liberty Advanced at 14U. That lasted through HS. When she committed to college, I upgraded her mitt to a custom Heart of The Hide.

It just depends on how hard the pitchers throw for whom she catches.

Jan 25, 2022
44, purchased today actually.

I think I count since I've only caught pitches from middle school and high school kids. Went from a 33 All-Star someone gave me brand new, to a Liberty Advanced. I upgraded because the $125 All-Star was starting to get flimsy after about 30k catches between 35 and 45mph (so there's your number for any age player using one). A lot of snow cone stuff was folding the pocket over and getting past me, and the thumb side is a little flimsy and my catching thumb is prone to dislocation. It's happened four times over the past couple years, plus I dislocate it other ways such as a few weeks ago when opening the mailbox. : |

Apr 10, 2021
41 - my hand was begging for more padding once DD pitches reached about 45mph or so.

Rawlings gg elite....stiff glove initially, but great now.

Apr 10, 2021
41 - my hand was begging for more padding once DD pitches reached about 45mph or so.

Nov 18, 2015
Assuming you're talking about a players glove (and not for you) - I upgraded from an entry level All-Star (made for a 10" or 11" anyway) to the All-Star CMW-3001 I think 1/2 way through the initial 12U season (so winter of 11U?). It may be a little heavier than others, but that's comparing it to lower end Mizuno's, which is what I see the most. (Love Mizuno's, btw, especially their Pro Select line). Probably the same weight as an A2000.

I wouldn't wait too long - if the glove is getting worn out, you're increasing the risk to injuring the thumb, or just plain missing balls due to the smaller size.

Seeing the other responses - for me - got a Liberty Advanced about 5 years ago. I've caught up to around 60mph with it with no issues.

Jan 25, 2022

Those GG's are hard as rocks. Like, they're a special Brees of stiffness. I've been breaking my daughter's fielding glove in for a year. Only through use, but still. I've never had one take even 6 months until now. And it's still got a little ways to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles