Well, here it is...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2022
Not all leaps are created equal. Leaving replant out of this for now, there are two types of leaping or detachment I see in lessons:

1. Typically seen in the younger students is the leap the comes from/with the forced opening of the hips and drag foot and knee pointing behind the pitcher often followed by a heel drop and complete collapse of the plant leg as the torso continues forward too far. This is an example of leaping being or leading to “bad mechanics.”

2. See Jordy Bahl. Detachment due to literally leaping out of the circle. This is an example of leaping coming from extreme athleticism. It will be interesting to see how she holds up in the long run with the pounding her lower half takes.

Since I try to teach my students that having their hips in the right position at release is important I wouldn’t teach them to stride so far and high they lose control of their hips. Usually a girl who can control her hips doesn’t leap so badly it gets called. And yes, elite throwing mechanics come with opening and closing of the hips and all that, but when they are young they tend to force them open too far, especially when leaping.
leaping is an advantage in its own right. i say major, some say minor, who knows. however, most agree that crow hopping/replanting IS a big advantage. since umps are too afraid to call (or it's hard to see) the crow hop/replant, the prior requirement that the back foot drag was a very good way to police the crow hop/replant - this effective governor is now being thrown out of the window for no good reason. anarchy awaits us all

May 18, 2019
For further discussion

To this comment about pitchers driving forward.

While the pitcher is driving forward,
THE *dragging their back leg/toe in the dirt, could actually be problematic to injury.

There is the possibility that removing that particular anchor dragging behind the pitcher May alleviate an unnecessary part of mechanic that could be causing injury.
( thinking it through, if you were driving your body forward, while dragging your foot behind you, is a driving pulling forward and restraining/dragging happening at the same time)

In comparison throwing overhand generally the majority of the time we push off our back leg and our foot comes off the ground. We drive with Incredible Force forward and at a point stop. Which is not creating redundant injuries.
Injuries are generally sustained through bad angles of throwing mechanics.
Bad arm and body timing causing injury.

Additionally could bring up hitting mechanics and the differences of how batters will use their legs. Including some keeping back foot planted and others lifting it up.
My daughter is in a brace right now for what I think may be an mcl sprain from dragging the push foot. She has very good mechanics but the number of reps adds up. I'd suspect on balance if leaping removes resistance, the risk on the plant leg injuries would be greater than the reduction on the push leg, but there is definitely some benefit on the push foot from no drag. We may adopt the leap just to remove that risk when she restarts in a few days.

May 13, 2023
My daughter is in a brace right now for what I think may be an mcl sprain from dragging the push foot. She has very good mechanics but the number of reps adds up. I'd suspect on balance if leaping removes resistance, the risk on the plant leg injuries would be greater than the reduction on the push leg, but there is definitely some benefit on the push foot from no drag. We may adopt the leap just to remove that risk when she restarts in a few days.
Hope she heals quickly. Interesting to hear what mechanics she utilizes going forward sharing feedback of that experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207