Well, here it is...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2022
this is a horrible decision. i agree it was hard to see whether a pitcher's back foot maintained contact with the ground the entire time. but this cure is worse than the disease! you will definitely see more leaping, which is an advantage (you're closer!), including some who will not even try to keep the back leg down and will throw like a flamingo off of the front foot (i've seen it, it works). and you will for sure see a lot more replanting - again, it's hard to see so no one will call it. I can see it quite easily, actually, the pitcher very clearly looks to be in "two parts", there is a hesitation halfway through for the replant and then the pitch is delivered. they are making a mockery of the purpose of the pitching plate, that this is the anchor or base from which a pitch should be delivered (like in baseball). if the pitcher's plate is now merely a launchpad to go wherever you want (within the circle), then that's deviating from the original intent and integrity of the game. this is horrible day in FP SB imho....

Nov 3, 2022
better ideas. keep the no leaping, no replanting rule. move back to 46 feet. use the 11 inch ball, move the bases to 70 feet and the fences to 225 poles, 250 center field. participation and TV ratings will go through the roof.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
this is a horrible decision. i agree it was hard to see whether a pitcher's back foot maintained contact with the ground the entire time. but this cure is worse than the disease! you will definitely see more leaping, which is an advantage (you're closer!), including some who will not even try to keep the back leg down and will throw like a flamingo off of the front foot (i've seen it, it works). and you will for sure see a lot more replanting - again, it's hard to see so no one will call it. I can see it quite easily, actually, the pitcher very clearly looks to be in "two parts", there is a hesitation halfway through for the replant and then the pitch is delivered. they are making a mockery of the purpose of the pitching plate, that this is the anchor or base from which a pitch should be delivered (like in baseball). if the pitcher's plate is now merely a launchpad to go wherever you want (within the circle), then that's deviating from the original intent and integrity of the game. this is horrible day in FP SB imho....

I personally think it is a good rule if it is enforced the way it is written. Now, if they don't enforce the no replanting rule and allow what you are describing that is not what I would like to see. I also agree with you on it is pretty easy to tell if the pitcher is replanting.

Jun 8, 2016
better ideas. keep the no leaping, no replanting rule. move back to 46 feet. use the 11 inch ball, move the bases to 70 feet and the fences to 225 poles, 250 center field. participation and TV ratings will go through the roof.
Yeah because the WCWS ratings are bad right now..Game is fine as it is and this new rule will have minimal effect on that..

PP or somebody worried his little Suzy won’t be able to hit somebody who leaps for joy?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Oh..I thought we were being serious today in honor of @JOND
Not with that picture.

I do remember running an experiment when the Jordy thread took off that measured the benefits of leaping 🆚 dragging. It was quite the seen to witness. I set up a pitching rubber in my family room and measured my landing point with and without a leap. I did ten pushes using both styles, and I believe I concluded obtained about 8" by leaping. Did it make a difference? I have no idea. While I am very good at front toss, I can't throw a real windmill pitch, and I use HE mechanics.

For the record, I almost broke my neck when I tumbled on my butt on a pitch.

Jun 8, 2016
Not with that picture.

I do remember running an experiment when the Jordy thread took off that measured the benefits of leaping 🆚 dragging. It was quite the seen to witness. I set up a pitching rubber in my family room and measured my landing point with and without a leap. I did ten pushes using both styles, and I believe I concluded obtained about 8" by leaping. Did it make a difference? I have no idea. While I am very good at front toss, I can't throw a real windmill pitch, and I use HE mechanics.
It’s legal now so we will see won’t we ?(might take time for the evolutionary, survival of the fittest effects for FEMALE pitchers to take place)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207