Walks in 8U/ 10U Games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The girls are learning nothing about softball with these watered down games. I would rather they be at soccer and just playing catch at home, until they are able to play the game.

I don't know if any of you remember, but when my DD was in 2nd grade, I took every girl that wanted to and we practiced. We were not in a league. The girls had t-shirts and I made it fun. We just learned to catch and throw and hit. Then, the next year, I put my dd in baseball. By 4th grade, she went to softball, but some of the girls were still pretty weak with their skills.[/QUOTE]

x2 Amy - If the girls aren't being taught the basic skills in rec SB you have 2 options. If your league allows it, the better players can play up an age level OR they can play LL BB until there's decent SB coaching and the play is more competitive. I applaud those who sacrifice their time and energy to coach, but IME there's a misunderstanding by many of the parents/coaches that trying to teach the girls basic skills is considered being "too serious" and prevents them from having fun! It's a real shame that at 12-14 (and even 15/16 sometimes) we're still having to teach girls to hit and throw properly when the boys learned these same skills at least 2-4 years earlier.

GM

PS 3rd option that should be mandatory - work w/ your own kid(s) independently

May 25, 2010
We are talking about recreational league right?

At 8U, for many kids (parents), this is an introduction to softball. The majority of kids (parents) just want to show up and have some fun. Learn the very basic fundamentals and get some ice cream after the game.

They have no concept of what it really takes to be competitive and many do not care.

The pitchers (parents) just don't understand how much practice it takes to be able to pitch even in rec league.

Rec league is what it is. People who want more or a better game need to go play 10U competitive travel ball.

I know that every area is different, but even though my experience is limited, wherever you go almost anywhere in America, you're going to find parents who want their kids to perform better than they're capable of, sometimes because of lack of athletic ability, but often because of poor coaching.

I disagree, however, with the suggestion that rec softball has to be bad softball, because that's what it is intended to be. The main emphasis of any rec sports league is participation: you sign your kid up, pay your money, and then your kid gets to play just as much as all the other kids, regardless of whether your kid is the greatest of all-time or the worst to ever step on the field. Some coaches are great at communicating with their defensive players and baserunners during a game. Some parents will get upset and charge those coaches with being 'too competitive'. Other coaches do NOT use games as teaching time and expect the girls to recall mistakes they made in Saturday's game at the Wednesday practice. Then parents complain about those coaches not giving their kids the best chance to win.

It's a tough balance, but if I had to choose, I'd err on the side of coaching the kids to be in the game, rather than allowing them to make dirt mounds with the gloves while on defense. And if kids can play effective defense, games will quite often be close and dare I say competitive.

People who do not know softball/baseball don't know that a kid almost always has to have a coach teach them how to pitch. Many kids are naturals with the bat, but few are naturals when it comes to pitching. If there's no communication about this fact between the league and the parents of younger players, then the only ones who will get to pitch are the ones in softball families or the ones who hear about it and can afford the expensive lessons. The more known an instructor or facility is, the more it's going to cost, while the more unknown someone is could keep you from finding them.

To give a little perspective, my daughter started pitching in March at the start of the spring season. She'd never had a lesson and was expected to be her team's #1 pitcher...and to throw strikes. After several tough weeks, she asked to take lessons, and in a few more weeks, with just a few games left in the season, the light bulb went on and she was suddenly dominant. But even at the age of 7, her instructors were saying to me that she 'should've started lessons sooner'.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm very pro-ice cream, but we're dealing with a whole new rec culture, I'm afraid, and that means having to allow our general mindset to evolve as well.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I don’t think anybody has outright said rec softball is bad softball. Nor, has anyone said that rec league parents/coaches are nethanderals. . .

. . . you're going to find parents who want their kids to perform better than they're capable of, sometimes because of lack of athletic ability, but often because of poor coaching.

As you pointed out there are some parents that wear “rose-colored-glasses”. But as I contended there are many that just want to show up and have some fun. Learn the very basic fundamentals and get some ice cream after the game.

It is a fine line to walk and try to balance all the different agendas in a recreational league. That is why as a parent you have to investigate a little. If your little player is craving more, you have to find a way to provide that opportunity by helping to improve the circumstances for everyone (becoming more involved in the league, coaching, etc.), or moving to different level that will provide the opportunity for more competition or an atmosphere that is much more conducive to what you want out of the game for your player. A place where the "agendas" are a little more a like.

Too many times, parents want to complain about this or that (I am not saying all you here are complaining. :)) Often it is just with their own agenda in mind with a complete disregard with what is best for everyone or not understanding what the bigger picture will bring.

. . . you're going to find parents who want their kids to perform better than they're capable of, sometimes because of lack of athletic ability, but often because of poor coaching.

I do whole heartly agree that one of the biggest factors in all of this is coaching. At the rec level you are dealing with volunteers to coach. There is a shortage of people who will take the challenge for whatever reasons. At the beginning levels, you sometimes have to take what you can get within reason and then offer resources, certifications, etc. to learn to coach and about the game. That’s a tall order sometimes and not always an idea situation. As the old saying goes “you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink.”

SoftSocDad and the many others here are taking the first steps to what I hope is a wonderful journey in what the life in youth sports can provide to your family. You all are looking for answers that can take you down different paths. A lot of it you will have to find out for yourself but you are looking and that is what is great!

I guess the biggest thing I am trying to say is, most of us here at this site and others have an interest in the game for whatever reason. We just have to remember at the very beginning levels not everyone is on the same page or the same interest level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish