Umps Keeping Track of Local Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just curious

Umpires seem to move around to different Leagues, all who seem to have different local rule sets. We usually see the same umpires but with all the makeup games we have been seeing some new faces. We also have some “unwritten” rules that are usually mentioned before the game.

One simple example: Last game I tried to put in a pinch runner for our next P with no outs so she could warm-up. Umpire refused to allow it: “in ASA you are only allowed to pinch run when there are 2 outs”. It was not a big deal, if it was I could have dug the local rule up that allowed it, but did not want to stop the game.

How do Umpires keep track of all the different local rules? In general do they expect the Managers to bring it to their attention when a local rule applies?

Jul 28, 2008
Just curious

Umpires seem to move around to different Leagues, all who seem to have different local rule sets. We usually see the same umpires but with all the makeup games we have been seeing some new faces. We also have some “unwritten” rules that are usually mentioned before the game.

One simple example: Last game I tried to put in a pinch runner for our next P with no outs so she could warm-up. Umpire refused to allow it: “in ASA you are only allowed to pinch run when there are 2 outs”. It was not a big deal, if it was I could have dug the local rule up that allowed it, but did not want to stop the game.

How do Umpires keep track of all the different local rules? In general do they expect the Managers to bring it to their attention when a local rule applies?

I don't have the latest ASA rule set in front of me, but I'm looking at the 2008 pdf version and Rule 8 Section 10.A.1 says a courtesy runner can be used for the pitcher or catcher at any time. I'm going to go the truck and get my 2011 and see if that's changed.

As for local rules, I don't like them for the most part. I do like batting the roster and last out for courtesy in ASA during the regular season, not the JO season. But that's about it. Most umpires if traveling, get a quick lowdown on the local rules. Often times, these are the same for many local leagues. 5 run rule, no stealing home on passed ball, 1 base on an overthrow, etc. Other than that, they rely on coaches telling them the truth and they will then change their call.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't have the latest ASA rule set in front of me, but I'm looking at the 2008 pdf version and Section 10.A.1 says a courtesy runner can be used for the pitcher or catcher at any time. I'm going to go the truck and get my 2011 and see if that's changed.

OK, thanks. I did not mean to imply umpires do not know the real rules, maybe that was a poor example. Quite honestly I do not know th real rule because it does not apply to us.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles

Good question. It certainly seems reasonable to point it out on the spot if you think a local rule applies. With any luck the other coach backs you up. If confusion happens often, the league's umpire coordinator should do a better job explaining the local rules (or the rules need to be simplified).

As for a courtesy runner under ASA rules: I've never heard about this "2 outs" rule. You can courtesy run for the pitcher anytime, but the pitcher is the pitcher that last pitched. The "next pitcher" is simply not a pitcher under ASA rules.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
One simple example: Last game I tried to put in a pinch runner for our next P with no outs so she could warm-up. Umpire refused to allow it: “in ASA you are only allowed to pinch run when there are 2 outs”.

There are the standard rules in the rule book. Then there may be special "league rules" applicable only for that particular league. Then there are "imaginary rules that exist only in the umpire's mind". The one in your example would be an example!

By the way...I think that you mean "courtesy runner" instead of "pinch runner". "Pinch runner" has no meaning or definition in the rule book. When a runner comes on to run for another player, they are either a courtesy runner or a substitution.

All that aside...I call softball games under three different sanctioning bodies, any of which can have rules that conflict. I also call baseball, where you have many "similar, but different rulings" to deal with. And I call games for three different recreational leagues, each of which has their own list of special league rules.

It's no wonder I'm so confused! :rolleyes:

Things I do to keep it all straight...

- Do my homework BEFORE I set foot on the field. Know which rule set you'll be caling under and study their rules ahead of time. Make it a point to know and understand the differences.

- If it's a league I'm not familiar with, I'll ask the coaches about any special rules at the pre-game plate conference.

- If something does come up during the game, I'm much more open to discussing it with a coach if he raises a question about a call. I'm normally open to questions anyway, but if we're dealing with some oddball league rule I might not be aware of, we're going to hash it out and get it right.

- I have even on occassion scribbled down a "cheat sheet" of special league rules and kept that in my pocket to consult if needed. For instance, this year alone I've called games in different leagues that have used a half-dozen different game-ending runs ahead rules. So I've scribbled down the different run rules and carried that on the field with me.

If you do all that, you're going to keep problems with rule differences to minimum. But they can still come up to bite you- I know, because it has happened to me.

The guys I don't care for are the ones that make no effort, thinking that, "It's all softball and it's all the same". Nothing could be further from the truth. My own personal opinion is that if I accept an umpiring asignment for a certain association or league, part of my responsibility and duty is to know their rules!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the replies, nice hearing the Umps perspective.

With any luck the other coach backs you up.

They better back me up, I back them up. I have an another outlet for this Issue, not the umpire. Yes, it happens and these are the teams that loss their players or not invited back to coach.

You can courtesy run for the pitcher anytime, but the pitcher is the pitcher that last pitched. The "next pitcher" is simply not a pitcher under ASA rules.

That is great to know, I think that is why we have a local rule for "courtesy runners" but now that you mentioned it our Local rules have a huge hole in them. I think that warming up a P is one of the main intents of our local rule but it is not spelled out that way.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have become a big fan of the Continuous batting order; I wish ASA would address this Issue and the opportunity it allows the Teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd