UCLA offer to 8th grade QB.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2013
I sort of understand what the school is thinking but I am not sure what the parents are thinking.

I guess a full ride to school is hard to pass up no matter what the age of the child but I would be worried about their motivation going forward and the pressure.

6th/ 7th grade DD has a 4.8 GPA, 4 is an A, if some school is looking for a small non talented pitcher. At a minimum she will get your Team’s GPA up and cheer a lot.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
why do you consider it madness? If he's one of the best QB's in the country, out of 10's of thousands 8th grade players, and a school recognizes it....why is that bad for anybody?....did you see the skills the kid has? He has definitely put in a lot of hard work to look that impressive at that age....plus he's 6'2" and 190 lbs already....I'm guessing he will end up about 6'5" and 230 by 19 which is the big part of the offer too....I remember when people were rolling their eyes about Sports Illistrated making a big deal about 14 YO LeBron James....

Aug 24, 2011
There's eight grade girls committing in softball too. I don't like it, and I know the colleges don't like it, but it's the reality right now.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I know the colleges don't like it, but it's the reality right now.

I wish I could find it, there was an article awhile back who interviewed some pretty big college coaches. All said they didn't like it, but also said "everyone is doing it", and unfortuantly to stay ahead in the game each had to recruit earlier and earlier.

But they did line out the negatives, which I commend them for at least voicing their concerns. How these early commitments will physically and mentally change before HS graduation. What if these "kids" don't measure up to their "guessed" athletic potential? At the early ages kids will be kids, and only guess their young mentality on the kind of college experience they wish to have. A couple added that they have no idea what type of player they are really recruiting, beyond the early physical development. Who knows if they will even meet the acedemic requiments to pass admissions.........when they make choices at pre/early HS years? Who knows if these athletes are team players, leaders, trouble makers?

I believe it was the NC basketball coach who made a good point. He said the only way you can change the trend of earlier and earlier recruitment is to impose the institution to honor every commitment they offer, that way it protects the early and late bloomers. Colleges wouldnt be so fast to offer until they see an athlete's full college potential late in the HS years.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I believe it was the NC basketball coach who made a good point. He said the only way you can change the trend of earlier and earlier recruitment is to impose the institution to honor every commitment they offer, that way it protects the early and late bloomers. Colleges wouldnt be so fast to offer until they see an athlete's full college potential late in the HS years.

Or you could just not allow colleges to make offers of any kind to anyone not yet a junior. Or is that just crazy talk?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz