Tryouts - Organizations have same day tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Why? I am amazed at all of the Houston Area Organizations having tryouts on the SAME DAY! DD's team folded, so we are team shopping. I have sent emails to the top 5 on her list, but so far, out of the 5, 4 are on the same day, and 1 is the following weekend. With the 4 on the same day, three have the same time slot, and one has a different. Obviously, DD cannot be at 3 tryouts at the same time. So, with that said, we have to decide which of the 3 she really wants to go to, and then email the remaining 2 asking for a private tryout.

I get that the organizations want to have their roster asap; and they want the top players first. The competition for spots and for players is fierce down here. I know of players that travel 1-2 hours for teams in this area.

This is nuts.

Jan 7, 2013
Its "CrAzY Time" for Travel Ball. Season ending tournaments are wrapping up. Coaches are scrambling to keep their best players, and recruiting their competitions best players. Teams with girls that are aging up are having to replace them with girls that aren't.

Elite teams can schedule their tryouts any time they want. Others on the cusp try to schedule around them. Newly formed teams and teams in turmoil just try to get the best of the rest.

A phone call will go a lot further than an email if you can get their number. We avoid coaches that won't speak to us over the phone, or directly, prior to a tryout. When you do speak to them, be prepared to sell your kids accomplishments, experience and "multiple positions" they play. I've found you have to put your daughter in the right spotlight, no one else will. Private tryouts are nice if you can arrange them, especially if your DD can do it with a friend. Eases the nervousness.

If you're just now contacting coaches of the "elite" teams, it may be too late. Most already know who's joining the team and are holding tryouts to find that one super athlete from rec ball that's been missed by other coaches, or is new to the area.

All that said, the teams that seem to do well. and have the most fun, are the ones that have open tryouts and take the girls that they develop into elite players.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz