Trophy Hunting 101

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Does seem like a strange format... Out of curiosity, how many college coaches showed up to watch the silver bracket games?
There were some. I saw the most during pool play oddly enough. Like I mentioned all teams were guaranteed 5 games so if there were players the coaches wanted to see they were able to check them out. We played in this tourney mainly to get work in. Most of the coaches were from JUCO's. There were some 4 year schools there though mostly NAIA I believe.

Our coach just confirmed that the team played the pool games with 4 collage aged girls. That is what caused them to forfeit their games.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
There were some. I saw the most during pool play oddly enough. Like I mentioned all teams were guaranteed 5 games so if there were players the coaches wanted to see they were able to check them out. We played in this tourney mainly to get work in. Most of the coaches were from JUCO's. There were some 4 year schools there though mostly NAIA I believe.

Our coach just confirmed that the team played the pool games with 4 collage aged girls. That is what caused them to forfeit their games.
What age are you referring to as "college age"? Just curious based on your wording and on responses to a previous thread about 18U teams being made up of college players to go win some cheap plastic trophies (or no trophies as in this case).

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
What age are you referring to as "college age"? Just curious based on your wording and on responses to a previous thread about 18U teams being made up of college players to go win some cheap plastic trophies (or no trophies as in this case).
20+. Def not 18U eligible.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Got it. So then, I completely agree with your previous statement that they should have been DQ'd and not allowed to continue in the tourney.
I think the reason they were not DQ'ed is because it was first and foremost a showcase with 5 games guaranteed. I would have felt bad for the girls that drove a long way to be looked at to have missed 3 additional games because their coach is a boob.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

That makes sense. The showcases we participated in did not allow anyone that was already in college, regardless of age. When DD was 2nd year 18u, we had several college freshmen on our roster. Instead of playing 18u we decided to play 23u. It gave our players the opportunity to play against other active college players. Plus, all of our high school seniors were committed at the time, so playing showcases that summer would have been pointless.

May 29, 2015
just to win a medal (no trophies were given out

Did the coach complain about this, too?

Back in my rec days, I had a coach do just that. He was mad that his teams' trophies were the same size as the other ones. Seriously. Guess who I tried to put in charge of trophies the next year? Guess who refused to do it?

Apr 26, 2019
Did the coach complain about this, too?

Back in my rec days, I had a coach do just that. He was mad that his teams' trophies were the same size as the other ones. Seriously. Guess who I tried to put in charge of trophies the next year? Guess who refused to do it?

Back in my DD's rec days there was a coach caught cheating with over aged players on his team so he could dominate the league. Really? Cheat to win a rec league?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Perhaps I'm misreading...how do you forfeit pool games after going 2-0?

Drop dead bracket games? WTF???

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Perhaps I'm misreading...how do you forfeit pool games after going 2-0?

Drop dead bracket games? WTF???

Forfeit is a nice way of saying they were dq’ed. Like I said. They changed it to DD right before the beginning of the game.

It’s really no bid deal. It’s not like it was a national championship or anything. It really was supposed to be a showcase with the fun of having something to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr