Trophy Hunting 101

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Played a tournament this weekend. One team won their pool 2-0 by clobbering their opposition (only two pool games which was weird but it was 5 games guaranteed and it worked out) They then proceeded to forfeit both of those games and were moved from 1st in their pool to 4th and on to the sliver bracket.
Why this was allowed you will have to ask the tournament directors.

They rolled through the first two bracket games and were in the finals facing my DD’s team. They proceeded to not really warm up before the game and some players arrived right before the game started. To say they were confident they were going to win is an understatement.

Before the game the TD told both coaches it would be 1:30 drop dead instead of 1:30 no new. Both coaches agreed and our coach had choice of home or away because we were the higher seed. Knowing that it had been changed to drop dead he chose away.
With five minutes left in the game the other coach comes out and started complaining about the game being drop dead (even though they agreed on it at the beginning of the game).

We won 4-3. Karma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Did they have to forfeit those pool games due to the use of some ineligible players?

If they did they did not tell our coach about it. They did have some older looking players on their team today. Lots of tattoos

That does make sense now that I think about it. Why else would they have to forfeit games they won? I would have thought they would be called DQ’d and would be surprised if they would be allowed to continue in the tourney. That makes it even more ridiculous if they used ineligible players in what was supposed to be a showcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
As far as trophy hunting, sounds like they did it wrong.

Well they did one of two things. Either they brought in collage players to try and win a collage showcase tournament and got caught. Or they were allowed to forfeit two games that they won so they could move down to the silver bracket.

Aug 25, 2019
My DD just played a showcase this weekend, it was just 6 games over three days, no brackets, no championships, isn't that what a college showcase is suppose to be?

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
My DD just played a showcase this weekend, it was just 6 games over three days, no brackets, no championships, isn't that what a college showcase is suppose to be?
Yes. Every tournament that we have attended that was called a showcase was just that. Not standings kept. This one was different. It was a showcase but it was also ran like a standard pool/bracket play tournament. It was set up that every team played 5 games win or lose.

I'm not complaining in the least. Like I said my DD's team won the game. It's just a sad statement that a team would do what this team did just to win a medal (no trophies were given out so my thread title is misleading :D)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Does seem like a strange format... Out of curiosity, how many college coaches showed up to watch the silver bracket games?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr