Travel Ball- Maybe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
K so my dd got invited to try out a 12U travel team. I know the HC pretty well cause I have coached against him a few times in the rec season. Now he has gotten with a reputable travel organization and started his own team. Past few practices I noticed the group of girls that he has are sort of a weaker fundamentally group. Lots of miss balls that should be caught, throws are weak. Hitting wise, as a group, including my dd, I’m going to say there “ok” but not super strong. His practice regimen is strength/conditioning with Batting cages (all at the same facility) on Mondays, then Wednesday and Sunday is practice. I will be bluntly honest and say it seems like my dd is one of the strongest on the team, fundamentally wise. I personally like it when she is one of the weaker ones and has to work her way up to the top. I feel that’s how you grow and get better. It tends to be a lil more rewarding too.

Question is should I let her stay on and have the girls on the team grow to each other, or get out and find another team where my dd can develop as a better player??

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
For the first time TB team I would suggest to stay on the team because field time is what is important right now, and if she is one of the best, she will get the time. Let her experience the TB season, it's way different than P&R. Heck at 16 we are playing in 11 Tournaments this season... that is more than I did at 10's or 12's and it's gruling.

Jun 30, 2012
NY
It all depends on what you and your daughter are looking to get out of it. If your goal is to get better, you need to (among other things):

1. Play with better players
2. Play against stronger competition
3. Have good coaching
4. Practice often at home

In my opinion, if your DD has a competitive mindset and has talent, don't allow her to be the strongest player on a weak team. Your DD's progress will be impeded and she may get frustrated.

I agree with Coach Kevin to some extent....you want her to play, but I recommend finding a stronger team, with solid coaching, where she will still get extended field time. That will be your challenge.

If you are looking to just experience TB and your DD is comfortable with her teammates and coaches, then try it out this season and reevaluate your situation at some point in the future.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
This team sounds like a good way to break into travel ball. While your playing through the year do your homework!! Watch other teams her age warm up thats when good coaches do their coaching and communicating with the girls. If they are sloppy and goofing around during warmups you can bet their practice's arent much different. If they are disciplined and busy during warmups you can guess that is whats expected at practice. The teams that peak your interest watch them play and honestly figure out where your daughter may fit and think about if you would be happy with that. Also remember as a new comer im sure she will have to earn that spot not have it given to her right away. Make sure understands not to get frustrated rigth away but keep fighting. This way you are making an educated decision not something based on what you heard.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
P&C makes good points, but I have to side with Coach Kevin and soupy.

This is your first time with TB and your DD is young. You need to learn what TB is all about, and then find a team that more closely matches your DD's ability and desires. You've got plenty of time to find that perfect team. So, spend a year studying the game.

Newbies generally don't appreciate just how bad TB can be for a girl. First, there are bad, lying coaches in TB...they will promise you and her anything, and then your DD will end up sitting the bench. Second, you think your DD is good (all Daddies do), but you really won't know until she plays against a good TB team. You might find out that your DD is not a whole lot better than the rest of the girls on the team.

So, take a year, play on this team and get a feel for what TB is all about. Next year, you can move on if you wish.

War story:

DD#1 was 13YOA, she was offered to play on a good 16U team. For a lot of reasons (namely, her control), she didn't do well. She threw hard, but she sat the bench because she walked too many people. She was unhappy and I was unhappy. Luckily, a bad 16U team was looking for a pitcher. She went to that team and pitched almost all the time. No, they didn't win many games, but she pitched almost every inning of every game. She loved it. She and I continued to work on her pitching and her control got better. Two years later, she was playing one of the top 16U teams in Chicagoland.

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
P&C makes good points, but I have to side with Coach Kevin and soupy.

This is your first time with TB and your DD is young. You need to learn what TB is all about, and then find a team that more closely matches your DD's ability and desires. You've got plenty of time to find that perfect team. So, spend a year studying the game.

Newbies generally don't appreciate just how bad TB can be for a girl. First, there are bad, lying coaches in TB...they will promise you and her anything, and then your DD will end up sitting the bench. Second, you think your DD is good (all Daddies do), but you really won't know until she plays against a good TB team. You might find out that your DD is not a whole lot better than the rest of the girls on the team.

So, take a year, play on this team and get a feel for what TB is all about. Next year, you can move on if you wish.

War story:

DD#1 was 13YOA, she was offered to play on a good 16U team. For a lot of reasons (namely, her control), she didn't do well. She threw hard, but she sat the bench because she walked too many people. She was unhappy and I was unhappy. Luckily, a bad 16U team was looking for a pitcher. She went to that team and pitched almost all the time. No, they didn't win many games, but she pitched almost every inning of every game. She loved it. She and I continued to work on her pitching and her control got better. Two years later, she was playing one of the top 16U teams in Chicagoland.

Sluggers

I do see your point however not sure if you read in my post, but I mentioned she is fundamentally strong. Not talented. She and I have worked hard to get her better and it has slowly been getting better. On this team she is not the best pitcher, actually she got a wakeup call when they told her that she is their 4th maybe 5th pitcher for this team. She was totally fine with that. She is the slower one on the team with running and the smallest one on the team. LOL. Because of her arm and her hustling they want her to play 3rd.
Sooooo, No….. Not all “daddys” think there kids are the best. As her dad/coach she and I recognize her strengths and her weakness. Worse case I guess if it doesn’t work, were not married to the team.

Do like the war story too………………

Jul 2, 2013
First, ask your daughter what she wants to do, and factor it heavily in the decision.

Second, as a 1st year travel player, it sounds as if she will be able to play her preferred position. This is very important at 12U, and allows competing organizations to see her play her preferred position.

Third, travel play will elevate her hitting because the competition is better and more consistent. Take advantage of these extra at bats, as a higher level travel team may not provide as many.

Fourth, get to know the local travel teams. Gauge your players skill set, and network as much as possible so the better travel teams want to extend an invite.

Fifth, always present a calm, nice demeanor. Never complain when things do not go your way. Work through the down times and become known as a family that contributes positively to any team.

As your player gets older, and the family adapts, the doors open wide for players like yours. The travel community becomes smaller and smaller. Teams and players change much more frequently than previously thought and it is important to stay in the loop, and ahead of the changes for the most benefit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz