Tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
How are you going to handle the different pitching distances in 14u this year. We play ASA and USSA. We may only play USSSA to stay at 43 ft. to get ready for high school. But then we will miss out on ASA nationals and other tournaments at 40 ft. Am I overthinking. Would like input. Thanks

Jul 26, 2010
Our 14u decided to play only ASA. Another organization is playing both, but is just having their #3 and #4 pitchers pitch the USSSA stuff.

Another option is to play 16u ASA and 14u USSSA.

-W

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
This definitely was a major consideration when deciding our tournament schedule this year. Because all the major sanctions went to 43', with only ASA staying at 40', we decided to only enter tournaments that were 43'. We did enter 2 ASA tournaments, one of them had decided to go 43' for 14u and the other we entered as a 16u team. We won't go to ASA nationals but instead we are going to NSA nationals. My understanding is next year (2012) everyone will be at 43', my team will be 16u by then but at least there will be consistency for the 14u teams.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
This has even impacted 12U teams. We have a very good 2nd year 12U team, and were going to play in some 14U tournaments this year to get more experience, but the different pitching distances made it unlikely that we could do that (except for ASA sanctioned tourneys).

Jan 19, 2011
We moved our 12/u team to 14/u this past fall. We do have one more year at 12/u but decided it would be best to go to 14/u and 43'. We're not going to play any at 40'.......you need to do what's best for your team.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
This has even impacted 12U teams. We have a very good 2nd year 12U team, and were going to play in some 14U tournaments this year to get more experience, but the different pitching distances made it unlikely that we could do that (except for ASA sanctioned tourneys).

Don't sell your girls short. They can handle more than you think. 3 extra feet won't hurt them. They will adjust. If they are a very good 2nd year 12 team, It might be good for them to get a head start. At 14U your pitchers need to be ready to go, never hurts to get ready early. They may enjoy the challenge.

May 18, 2009
We were speaking about pitcher development and playing up which is common among the girls. Thinking that the move to 43 will keep girls more in their age bracket. I also think moving them up early to the 43 will hurt the development of their movement pitches because they will be trying to improve speed for the longer distance.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
We were speaking about pitcher development and playing up which is common among the girls. Thinking that the move to 43 will keep girls more in their age bracket. I also think moving them up early to the 43 will hurt the development of their movement pitches because they will be trying to improve speed for the longer distance.

Aren't pitchers always working on increasing speed? Do you have to stop to learn movement? A 40 foot breaking ball is only good for 2 years unless you only play ASA at 14U.

May 18, 2009
If a girl is dominating with a fastball at age 11, mastered it. She will start working on adding more pitches. If She's 12 and still developing other pitches and parents play her up her fastball won't be as dominant and it's still called on when strikes are needed. I've heard the speed is about 3 to 4 mph less at the 43 ft mark. Leaving them down at their own age group might give them more time to develop more pitches and not worry as much about speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck