too many assistant coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
It's nice to have extra parents around to help with setting up and working hitting stations; warming up pitchers; dragging/watering field after practice; filling in when ACs are missing; but probably the best reason to have additional help is the parents have less time to sit on the bleachers and criticize every move the HC makes...

Aug 19, 2012
If you want to involve a few at games where you think they might be feeling left out give them jobs to do. One can track pitches, there are some pretty good phone apps for scoring games recording hit placement etc, set up your batting tee and net behind the dugout and have a parent loading the tee for girls to hit prior to going up to bat. All of these things are helpful and help parents feel like they are contributing. People criticize way less when its our team and not coach's team.

May 6, 2015
great idea, scorekeeper, etc. we are not allowed any on deck type swinging area in games though.

and it is not my team, it is not the parents team, my point of emphasis for this year is this is the GIRLS' team. i am there to help them learn, develop, and have fun, and so should everyone else involved. unfortunate it is not always the case

Aug 19, 2012
Your league so obviously you know it best but you are really not allowed to set up a the and net behind your bench area on the grass to swing before going on deck ?

May 6, 2015
Your league so obviously you know it best but you are really not allowed to set up a the and net behind your bench area on the grass to swing before going on deck ?

that is mainly for practices. 2/3 practices will be at fields with absolutely nothing behind backstops for 100 feet or so (other than some trees and bushes). my one practice a week at our game fields I also have a cage/tunnel, and will use limited flight distance balls or nets in left field (cage is just past 3B dugout.

also, got some clarification from our president, they will unofficially allow helpers who have not had the training, as long as there is at least one trained coach present, but all helpers must fill out volunterr application, for background check and insurance purposes. this helps a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish