Throwing the ball around after outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2019
To me as an umpire it is just a waste of time…..something else to delay the game. We now have teams wanting to throw it a round the horn after a ground ball put out, and then come to a huddle at the mound. you are there to play the game, not celebrate every little out. Some time you see this in 70 minute timed game. What a waste of time. You don’t have to celebrate every play. Next thing you know they will be celebrating a dropped fly ball…..Oh sorry, they already do that.
It takes 20 seconds for the next batter to walk to the plate after doing their little practice swing routines. It maybe takes 20 seconds to throw it around real quick, have a little pow wow and get back to your positions. IMO when umps get pissy over this they’re power tripping.

May 29, 2015
My DD’s 14u team does it on K’s and outs with no runners on base. The last national tournament a few weeks ago, the ump started getting pissy because he was hot(Georgia), and telling the girls to knock it off. We’re 80+ games deep in this season and that was the first time an ump called it out.

I don’t see a problem with it for multiple reasons:

1. It keeps the girls loose.
2. They’re quick at it and don’t waste much time.

3. 95% of the time the batter is still walking up to the box when they’re already done and walking back to their positions.

I can see if the team is air mailing the ball into left field or spending too much time talking about Taylor Swift in the circle, but if they’re quick and efficient then what’s the problem.

It may not have been the umpire ... as some people have pointed out, some tournaments implement odd rules perceived to "speed up" the game: no throwing it around, no warm up balls on the infield, etc.

Last night I had a coach who, after a strike out, told his catcher to throw it around. She shook her head at him. Then she turned around and asked me, "Can I? The umpire we had last weekend was a jerk about it and said we couldn't do it." I told her I didn't care as long as the left fielder was NEVER involved and the pitcher was ready when the batter was at the plate. It took her a second to figure out why the left fielder would be involved. 😁

That said, there are butthead umpires out there who are just trying to get a check and check out, specifically in that order. I won't even try to claim otherwise or defend them.

Apr 2, 2022
There is a time limit to keep the pace of the game going in NFHS. As an Umpire I see no reason to throw the ball around the horn, it serves no purpose, although I see comments that is keeps the players in the game.
The one that irks me is players throw the ball around AND then huddle at the circle, to slap hands and giggle.
As the plate Umpire, I try to stop it and I get grief from the coaches and fans saying "let them play". I see this in travel ball because it's treated as a social gathering. That gets carried into High School games where there are time limits for the ball to get back to the circle, the batter to step into the box and the pitcher to pitch.
Is the future a pitch clock in softball and baseball at the HS level
Coaches need to be made aware of this issue at the plate meeting.

Jun 8, 2016
There is a time limit to keep the pace of the game going in NFHS. As an Umpire I see no reason to throw the ball around the horn, it serves no purpose, although I see comments that is keeps the players in the game.
The one that irks me is players throw the ball around AND then huddle at the circle, to slap hands and giggle.
As the plate Umpire, I try to stop it and I get grief from the coaches and fans saying "let them play". I see this in travel ball because it's treated as a social gathering. That gets carried into High School games where there are time limits for the ball to get back to the circle, the batter to step into the box and the pitcher to pitch.
Is the future a pitch clock in softball and baseball at the HS level
Coaches need to be made aware of this issue at the plate meeting.
You are right. Kids playing a game is serious business..no giggling allowed.

Jul 18, 2022
I'm not sure in the higher levels, but my daughter started her 1st year in TB with a competitive 2011 team last year. One of the reasons they are competitive is b/c some of the girls expect a lot from themselves and carry a lot of weight on their shoulders. These were 10-11yrs olds at the end of 2022. I think the huddle sometimes reminds them they are not alone out there (especially the pitcher) and helps them take a moment to breath.

If anyone's concerned about time wasted, might be better to address the coach making the pitch calls after the batter is in the batter box with their bat ready to go and the pitcher using their decoder wristband to try to figure out what was just called. Did I forget to mention the inevitable "step out of the box" needed by the batter b/c it's taken so long they need to step out and take a few swings?

Jun 22, 2008
The pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the pitch after receiving the ball. If the coach is waisting time calling in the pitch or the pitcher can't decipher their decoder ring the umpire needs to do their job and start calling time violations. I guarantee after getting called a few times they will all start hustling.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
The pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the pitch after receiving the ball. If the coach is waisting time calling in the pitch or the pitcher can't decipher their decoder ring the umpire needs to do their job and start calling time violations. I guarantee after getting called a few times they will all start hustling.
The decoder ring says "Drink your Ovaltine."

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I like when two guys sitting on buckets sharing a sheet of paper debating which pitch to throw next. Do they even realize how stupid they look? Call the clock.

May 13, 2021
DD's team done this several times this weekend, looked good and the girls love doing it. We were at the ball park for 14 yours I don't think a few around the horn after an strike out will make much of a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00