The other side to the "Multi-Sport Athlete"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Hmmm? Think that thru...
More room to grow?
Meaning they have not grown as much as a 1-sport athlete?
So they are more raw to develop?
I look at it as if 2 players are similar in skill and one has worked 52 weeks a year 5 days a week on one sport and the other plays 3 sports and only focuses on softball 30 weeks a year. When college happens? And the 3 sport girl focuses on softball 52 weeks, she is going to grow more as a player then the girl who just to keep up had to work all year at it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I look at it as if 2 players are similar in skill and one has worked 52 weeks a year 5 days a week on one sport and the other plays 3 sports and only focuses on softball 30 weeks a year. When college happens? And the 3 sport girl focuses on softball 52 weeks, she is going to grow more as a player then the girl who just to keep up had to work all year at it.
*In refference to a higher ceiling
Point being
is there two different ceilings of potential?
One ceiling of potential higher?
Without that coach expressing why they said that.
It is unclear.

I take it as
They have a higher ceiling
because they havent yet reached a greater potential.
Still raw. More to work on.

Rise to touch the top is the same top.

Some coaches like to mold players.
Others pick more developed and refined talent.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
*In refference to a higher ceiling
Is that saying that 3-sport player will grow higher than a 1-sport player....
Because of some magical ability they gained playing other sports it finally makes for
a higher potential?

Point being
is there two different ceilings of potential?

I dont think there is.
I don't think anybody here is saying a multi-sport athlete has a higher ceiling. Some college coach, who didn't understand what a ceiling actually is, said it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't think anybody here is saying a multi-sport athlete has a higher ceiling. Some college coach, who didn't understand what a ceiling actually is, said it.
Haaa perhaps thats why it became a discussion point ?

May 27, 2013
We held off on AAU basketball till this year but playing rec basketball wasn't fun for her anymore. So we traded her fun for our headaches..lol. No idea how we are going to manage it when the two boys get old enough to have their own things going on.
You’ll have to divide and conquer and hopefully have other parents willing to help with rides. DS is in the same boat as dd, plays soccer and BB in HS but baseball is his primary sport. Once it is softball and baseball season, dh goes with him and I go with dd. There are some weeks during the summer that we barely see each other. Right now is our “downtime.”

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl