The End of the NLI? So now what?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019

So now what? A verbal commitment is good enough? No pomp? No circumstance? I don't know how I feel about this because my DD was supposed to sign in November. We pre-ordered the balloons and everything.

Dec 15, 2021
They have to come out with something else to tie the athlete to the school. As someone mentioned, something else will take its place that will talk about he scholarship, academic money, etc. But there will be something for our kids to sign this year until something more permanent comes out.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

So now what? A verbal commitment is good enough? No pomp? No circumstance? I don't know how I feel about this because my DD was supposed to sign in November. We pre-ordered the balloons and everything.
The school can still do a signing ceremony. She can sign a commitment letter from the school. Doesn't have to be NLI letter. That's what D3's do.

May 16, 2016
Illinois

Keep hearing more and more about scholarships disappearing totally. Instead the athletes will all be employees of the school they are intending. My guess is that the NLI will just be reworded to accommodate the wording that will be required for athletes to become employees of the school.

Sounds preliminary judgements have been approved in court involving a 2.78 billion dollar settlement in total. Was also informed that each P4 school would have 21.5 million dollars to pay to athletes.

May 29, 2015
Keep hearing more and more about scholarships disappearing totally. Instead the athletes will all be employees of the school they are intending. My guess is that the NLI will just be reworded to accommodate the wording that will be required for athletes to become employees of the school.

Sounds preliminary judgements have been approved in court involving a 2.78 billion dollar settlement in total. Was also informed that each P4 school would have 21.5 million dollars to pay to athletes.

I haven't been following this, but they will NEVER be considered employees of the school. Too much liability and cost (insurance, workman's comp, benefits, etc.). It's already disgusting enough that the head football coach is the highest paid STATE employee in most states, can you imagine all the athletes getting state employee benefits?

The closest they will ever get is possibly considering them independent contractors . . . a term that garners a snorting guffaw from most umpires.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I haven't been following this, but they will NEVER be considered employees of the school. Too much liability and cost (insurance, workman's comp, benefits, etc.). It's already disgusting enough that the head football coach is the highest paid STATE employee in most states, can you imagine all the athletes getting state employee benefits?

The closest they will ever get is possibly considering them independent contractors . . . a term that garners a snorting guffaw from most umpires.

You very well could be correct. I am certainly not sure on the terminology of what the athletes will be called in terms of employee/independent contractor. It does seem to be heading in the direction that the schools will be allowed to pay athletes directly.

May 29, 2015
You very well could be correct. I am certainly not sure on the terminology of what the athletes will be called in terms of employee/independent contractor. It does seem to be heading in the direction that the schools will be allowed to pay athletes directly.

Here is my question, coming from a place of ignorance . . .

Are the schools the ones paying them though? I am familiar with the collectives, but aren't those independent organizations, like boosters? Or are they actually a school managed fund?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Here is my question, coming from a place of ignorance . . .

Are the schools the ones paying them though? I am familiar with the collectives, but aren't those independent organizations, like boosters? Or are they actually a school managed fund?
This is how I understand what is happening currently. Currently the school is allowed to pay an athlete for education expenses, scholarship for tuition, stipends - money for housing and other school expenses.

NIL money comes from a secondary party/ boosters, collectives.

Below is a copy and paste of keypoints of what is going through the court system currently.

What To Know​

• The agreement, which still must be approved by a judge, will settle three pending federal antitrust cases -- but not all legal issues the NCAA is facing.

• Under the terms of the agreement, the NCAA will pay more than $2.7 billion in damages over 10 years to past and current athletes, sources said.

• The agreement includes a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes, sources said.

• All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class -- but if they do so, they cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations.

• Athletes can object to the settlement or opt out of the settlement class.

• A series of formulas devised by a sports economist will be used to decide how to split the money among more than 10,000 former and current athletes.

• Schools likely will begin sharing revenue in fall 2025, sources said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaydence