The down side to tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My daughter doesn't particularly like to play tournaments any more. She is much happier w/ a high school or college team pattern of practicing every day and playing 2-4 games/week. She'd be happy to play 4 scheduled games per week (never more than 2, maybe 3 in a day), for a total of 25 straight weeks, a total of 100 games.

Instead, like every other travel kid in America, she gets about 85 percent of her 100 games on weekends, sometimes playing games 10 hours apart.

I think she's got a point. Travel ball is what it is, but there really isn't much sane about the idea of kids playing 4-5 games in a day, one starting at 8 a.m., another at 7:30 p.m. The unpredictability of a tournament schedule is another part of the insanity. You don't know if you're going home at 11 a.m. or 7 p.m. on Sunday. Softball rules your life, and your family's life.

I'm sure some would say ''if you don't like it, don't do it.'' Or, it's a moot point, it's not going to change.

I get that, but from the standpoint of growing the game, getting more kids and families to be a part of it, and to stay a part of it, wouldn't it be better to have more leagues, and less tournaments? More games in which the start times are known well in advance? Wouldn't the quality of the games be higher? Wouldn't you improve faster? If you're going to spend 20 hours at a ball field, wouldn't you benefit by spreading those hours out a little more? Isn't a little every day a better learning environment than 2 hours on WED and 12 on SAT?

Don't know what can be done, but I really feel the sport could be more beneficial for the players and families if there was another way.

Jun 29, 2013
Can't disagree with much of that. Even for me, as an adult, I have always declined invites to play in men's league slow pitch tournaments. I love the game, but I hate waiting around all day, and my DD is the same way. I have plenty of respect for the opposing view point on this, but I'd be just as happy as you if things were done differently.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It certainly was the way that you describe, back when I played. I can't stand timed games and 4 a day. But, these schedules became money makers and I don't think that there is any going back. A few teams here are doing friendlies, once a week and that is working well.

If you keep whole families at the ball park and make them pay $1.50 for bottled waters, and a gate fee, the money made adds up quickly.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We play in a travel league. Travel teams join as a whole team. Each team has to arange for a home field. We play 2 double headers a week for 6 weeks and then there are optional playoffs The games are 2 evenings midweek so each team can do tournaments. Tourneys are up to the individual teams. We get to get some games in with decent competition and free up some weekends

Nov 21, 2013
Washington
I have been wondering about this also I can't understand why the main organizations don't get together and form leagues, Baseball has been doing this forever. I like tournaments but it would be nice to have a league season and a tournament season.

My daughter doesn't particularly like to play tournaments any more. She is much happier w/ a high school or college team pattern of practicing every day and playing 2-4 games/week. She'd be happy to play 4 scheduled games per week (never more than 2, maybe 3 in a day), for a total of 25 straight weeks, a total of 100 games.

Instead, like every other travel kid in America, she gets about 85 percent of her 100 games on weekends, sometimes playing games 10 hours apart.

I think she's got a point. Travel ball is what it is, but there really isn't much sane about the idea of kids playing 4-5 games in a day, one starting at 8 a.m., another at 7:30 p.m. The unpredictability of a tournament schedule is another part of the insanity. You don't know if you're going home at 11 a.m. or 7 p.m. on Sunday. Softball rules your life, and your family's life.

I'm sure some would say ''if you don't like it, don't do it.'' Or, it's a moot point, it's not going to change.

I get that, but from the standpoint of growing the game, getting more kids and families to be a part of it, and to stay a part of it, wouldn't it be better to have more leagues, and less tournaments? More games in which the start times are known well in advance? Wouldn't the quality of the games be higher? Wouldn't you improve faster? If you're going to spend 20 hours at a ball field, wouldn't you benefit by spreading those hours out a little more? Isn't a little every day a better learning environment than 2 hours on WED and 12 on SAT?

Don't know what can be done, but I really feel the sport could be more beneficial for the players and families if there was another way.

I've been in travel ball for 5+ years and I can honestly say I've never played 4-5 games in one day at most we play 3 games on Saturday. And 2 on Sunday for showcases and before that when we played strictly tournaments we still played no more than 3 games a day on Saturday and bracket play on Sunday. Now I'm not disagreeing with you on being at the fields from sun up to past sundown that is a bummer and especially if you have a kid with special needs I can tell you for sure. The one thing I would like to have changed that will never happen is to have all games played to the finish with a true winner and loser. Girls at the higher levels of travel ball don't know how to win and lose anymore and that is sad. College coaches have commented on this before that they have to teach the girls how to win when they get to the college level.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Good posts. I agree w/ all. ...

When I was in metro Atlanta, the idea of a league might work because enough teams are close enough together, and there are several public parks w/ softball fields, so teams could find a place for their 'home games'. But the more rural you are, maybe that would be harder.

A more practical solution would be to have more round-robin tournament formats with less emphasis or concern for winning the tournament. Loser's brackets are absurd sometimes, teams playing 3-4-5 games in a row. But just knowing that you're going to play exactly 4 games this weekend and knowing when the games are going to start makes life much easier.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've been in travel ball for 5+ years and I can honestly say I've never played 4-5 games in one day at most we play 3 games on Saturday. And 2 on Sunday for showcases ...

In Georgia, we frequently played one-day tournaments, four-game guarantee. You might wind up playing 5-6 games, but usually 4-5. Good news was that you had Sunday free. Bad news is you were too exhausted to enjoy it. In North Carolina, we've almost always played two-day tournaments. So rarely more than three games in a day, but then your whole weekend is softball. I enjoy playing it over two days, but during school, my DD feels like she never gets a day off.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It all come down to the mighty dollar. 2 day tourneys, 2 pool games, then bracket. ( double elimination ) If you lose on Saturday you're done til Sunday, they want that gate and concession money one more time. As long as you are winning, sometimes we have been playing past 11 pm on Saturday. Then on Sunday it drags on while you wait for the loser bracket to finish up. It gets frustrating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle