Texas Tech looking for Pinch Runners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
😁 hey snazzy way to bring in some live Runners for defensive practice!
😂🥳

On a more serious note~
if they're looking for fast Runners,
What times are they looking for I'd like to see that in their post?!
20 yard sprint time?
Round the horn time?

( yes I realize running bases is more than just a timed/speed but at least that's something measurable)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
In the past I have toyed with recruiting our fastest track athlete to be a pinch/courtesy runner who only had to learn how to run the bases. I wouldn't even make her own a glove. She could do all her track stuff and come to softball only when it didn't interfere with track.

The big problem is our track team is really small, maybe a half dozen girls, and I have several girls on the softball team who are just as fast, if not faster, than their fastest.

May 29, 2015
I have long advocated for that practice, @CoachJD.

It also adds a kid that if you absolutely HAD to, you have somebody you can throw a glove on. But then, I say that as a parent who saw three of four seasons end early because the coach had run off too many kids, and then injuries/ eligibility took care of too many more.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There's 21 on that roster...a very hyped roster...but no speed on the bench?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
Davis is as fast as they come, but my guess would be due to the video review of runners leaving early, you have to have ELITE speed to try and steal bases now. There is serviceable speed from other starters, but I don't think you can risk stealing and being called out for leaving early. So it probably is a smart plan to try and get some high end speed for stealing situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968