Tennis elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Wondering if any of you guys have had the pleasure of dealing with elbow tendonitis? Mine started around 4 weeks ago, so 2 weeks ago I went to a orthopedic doctor and he diagnosed it in about 30 seconds as tendonitis. He immediately gave me a cortisone shot which did nothing, in fact I believe it pissed it off !

Just curious if any of you have dealt with this and what you did to get some relief. I'm a RHT and have been bucket catching my 13yo DD for 4+ years. My problem is in my left elbow. She throws in the mid fifties and when I catch her it literally feels like I'm getting hit with a hammer on my elbow and forearm muscle. VERY real pain !

The only thing I've done out of the ordinary with my left arm is to start the break in process with a new very stiff All-Star catchers mitt. If thats the root of my problem then I know I'm just getting old ! Help please.......

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Went through this a couple of years ago. Very debilitating and hard to heal completely. What I found was the most effective was to ice for 15 minutes at least 3 times a day. Also, have someone else catch your her for at least a week so you can heal. Also, Icy Hot advanced is the shiz nit. Best of luck.

PS: also found that anything that was designed to wrap around the elbow to fix tennis elbow actually made it worse. Go figure.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Wondering if any of you guys have had the pleasure of dealing with elbow tendonitis? Mine started around 4 weeks ago, so 2 weeks ago I went to a orthopedic doctor and he diagnosed it in about 30 seconds as tendonitis. He immediately gave me a cortisone shot which did nothing, in fact I believe it pissed it off !

Went through this several years ago. Ended up doing PT for 8 weeks, and the end result is that it still acts up but is much better. It needs ice and heat both: ice for the inflamation, heat to increase blood flow to help healing. Also need to stimulate the area by rubbing on the connection point - similar to heat, stimulates blood flow. I also have some PT "clay" that is similar to silly putty that I squeeze on at times, again to stimulate healing. There is also a surgery option if the regular stuff doesn't work. I'd go back to the doc and ask for a PT referral ASAP.

DO NOT use any of those bands that strap around your arm, DO NOT only ice it (reduces healing blood flow), DO NOT ignore it.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for the replies everyone, this is one of those conditions that you never think about until it happens to you. It effects everything you do on a daily basis. Simple things like turning a door knob, opening a jar, and catching a stupid softball.

Good information guys, thanks. BuckeyeGuy, I'm not going to ignore it, I don't think it will let me !

Sep 17, 2009
Question:why not use a band? It won't solve it, but it WILL help relieve pain when in use by limiting the jarring that causes the pain

Maybe you are saying don't expect a band to SOLVE the problem? I agree with that. If you "play through it" you will never get better. But sometimes players in particular just have to play through it or miss a season or games, etc. In that case a band can help, I've seen in the past.

But to fix it, you need rest, ice, anti-inflammatories, rehab and ultimately a new movement pattern that doesn't cause the tendinitis.

The new movement pattern seems easier to fix when we talk about throwing. Seems like your pain is from receiving a lot of pitches. Sounds like over-use -- go find a new (younger) catcher! : )

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Maybe I missed it, but what do you think is causing it. It couldn't be catching, could it.

Years ago, back when I went back to college, I was in the carpet-cleaning business. It really overworked my elbow in my right arm. I had surgery for tennis elbow. They numbed my arm at my shoulder, cut the skin open, detached that tendon, scraped it off, and re-attached it. Now, I think that is a last resort kind of thing, but it did end up better than it was. Of course, I didn't stay in the carpet cleaning business once I graduated.

Is there something else you are doing or have done that might explain the irritation?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The new movement pattern seems easier to fix when we talk about throwing. Seems like your pain is from receiving a lot of pitches. Sounds like over-use -- go find a new (younger) catcher! : )[/QUOTE]

This advice is already taken, she has a pitching lesson this Sunday and I have already recruited a 8th grade young man she goes to school with. I feel worthless !!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Maybe I missed it, but what do you think is causing it. It couldn't be catching, could it.

Years ago, back when I went back to college, I was in the carpet-cleaning business. It really overworked my elbow in my right arm. I had surgery for tennis elbow. They numbed my arm at my shoulder, cut the skin open, detached that tendon, scraped it off, and re-attached it. Now, I think that is a last resort kind of thing, but it did end up better than it was. Of course, I didn't stay in the carpet cleaning business once I graduated.

Is there something else you are doing or have done that might explain the irritation?

When it first started I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was causing it. I haven't hit it hard, haven't fell down, nothing. I catch alot and that new mitt is the only thing new I can think of. When the pain started it went from 0 to 100 in two days out of nowhere.

I have iced it but haven't tried icy hot yet. I'll get some today. A week ago I tried to catch Anna, took 4-5 pitches and looked at her and said sorry, I can't do it. The look on her face was one of terror, like what are WE going to do?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
When it first started I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was causing it. I haven't hit it hard, haven't fell down, nothing. I catch alot and that new mitt is the only thing new I can think of. When the pain started it went from 0 to 100 in two days out of nowhere.

I have iced it but haven't tried icy hot yet. I'll get some today. A week ago I tried to catch Anna, took 4-5 pitches and looked at her and said sorry, I can't do it. The look on her face was one of terror, like what are WE going to do?

Then it is from over-use. It just surprises me that catching would lead to tennis elbow. One thing that I do when catching for a pitcher during pitching practice is I don't tell them which pitch to throw. They decide. I tell them to aim at either of my shoulders (I'm on a bucket), or either shin or, in the case of a change-up at either toe. I just sit there with my forearms resting on my thighs sitting there. Sure, I move the glove to make the catch once the ball is pitched, but I don't provide a target with my glove all the time. In fact, I seldom do that. Maybe where you have been catching for her so much, and maybe because you are constantly holding up a target with your glove, .... maybe that is the over-use. Maybe it's too much glove movement on your part--too much pivoting of your hand leading to stress at that tendon on elbow. Does your hand stay steady, or do you find yourself somewhat waving the glove as you catch the ball?

In any case, I say DO wear one of those bands on the biggest part of your forearm with the pressure on the muscle just down from the tendon and slightly toward you. I think they do help. At least it did in my case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom