Teen shot at softball game: 'It could've been a lot worse'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Teen shot at softball game: 'It could've been a lot worse'

By Ryan Haggerty and Jeremy Gorner Tribune reporters

7:11 a.m. CDT, April 7, 2011
chibrknews-teen-shot-after-softball-games-asks-why-20110406

Kiara Faniel knows she’s lucky.

The 14-year-old freshman softball player at Morgan Park High School was shot in the right leg after a game Tuesday on the Far South Side.

“It could’ve been a lot worse,” Faniel said Wednesday while sitting on the front porch of her Far South Side home with her leg wrapped in a thick bandage and her 5-year-old niece at her side.

Faniel, a right fielder and shortstop on Morgan Park’s “frosh/soph” team, said she was shot just after 6 p.m. while she and her teammates celebrated with members of the varsity team after watching them beat Chicago International Charter School–Longwood in Oakdale Park.

More Here

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think it was random gun fire, but I don't know that. It was the south side of Chicago. We had a similar incident here this week, but a teenager was killed after someone fired a shot into the car.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
That is just nuts. And when in the world did shooting someone become "aggravated battery with a firearm". Does that equate to attempted murder? Geeeze.

I have to throw a huge Kudos to her coaches...As tragic as this is what a great attitude/outlook this female athlete has.."It could have been worse" Being a member of an athletic team helps young kids so much with coping with defeats in life. Her parents should be very proud of her....I know I would if it were my kid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC