Teaching the "Auburn Hop"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
This is for a 16U rec-level program. We are NOT travel ball or anything close. In my area (upstate NY - southern Adirondacks), we have a lot of girls who need some extra softball but can't afford the time/monetary commitment to play travel softball, so I'm the organizer/"Commissioner" of a rec-level local league. We have teams in different towns (usually within about a 1-hour drive or so from each other), we play a "regular season" schedule and a one-day playoff tournament between the last week of June and the last week of July/first week of August. It's designed for the girls who need/would like some extra softball/practice in a low-commitment environment to where they can learn, grow, and stay active over the summer before fall sports begin again. This year, with the shortened HS season, they needed this more than anything. We had 4 teams this year (lowest since I've been involved since 2014 - usually we have between 8-11). Most teams are a mixture of modified and JV (even some young varsity) softball players - a couple of teams have some 6th grade/youth-level girls. It's usually a "take who you can get" type of league.

In the case of my team this year, I had 15 girls (most I've ever had on one team since I've started):
8 from one modified team from School A (they won 1 game all season because they had NO coaching)
2 from one modified team from Schol B (they went 3-5, nothing spectacular)
3 from a town youth program with School A (that was a nightmare - coaches/parents had no control, etc.)
2 from the varsity team from School A (they went winless all season - no JV team here either)
(Full Disclosure - I had ZERO behavior or attitude issues with the girls - GREAT group of ladies, and the parents (for the most part) were very supportive, even with their criticisms of my coaching - we went 0-13 this season, which I almost expected just from what I saw of their HS games. I knew NO girls going into this and 1 parent, so I went in completely unbiased to everything.)

So I feel like I'm trying in my weekly practices to make up for everything they weren't getting during the HS season. Many of the girls thanked me for teaching certain things because they weren't being taught them on their HS teams, but I'm trying to find newer drills or setups to really cement the things they SHOULD know (like leading off a base, taking a creep-step to field a ground ball, etc.) It's hard when the HS coaches who can't coach teach them things that are inherently wrong and then they lose, get discouraged, and it's all they know - losing. I'm not trying to consciously stress myself out over making up what they lack - I think it's subconsciously me doing it - I just want them to be successful playing softball.)

Nov 18, 2015
I was on a team that studied muscle pre-tension with regards to reaction time in sprint starts. To get right to the money shot, we found on a basic level yes, muscular pre-tension does have a positive effect on reaction time.
Can you expand on "muscle pre-tension"? I think I know what you're referring to, but I think I know a lot of things, and depending on who you ask, it hasn't helped much... :)

Feb 1, 2021
Can you expand on "muscle pre-tension"? I think I know what you're referring to, but I think I know a lot of things, and depending on who you ask, it hasn't helped much... :)

Probably not a good explaination, but if you are randomly walking and someone says 'jump', there is a fraction of a second where you have to load up your muscles so you can jump. Pre-tension is simply putting that load on your joints and muscles in anticipation of someone saying 'jump' rather then a reaction to them saying 'jump'. Pre-tension basically gets your muscles ready to explode and locks all your joints so you are more efficient in your response, both in regards to time as well as overall performance.

Oct 26, 2019
Probably not a good explaination, but if you are randomly walking and someone says 'jump', there is a fraction of a second where you have to load up your muscles so you can jump. Pre-tension is simply putting that load on your joints and muscles in anticipation of someone saying 'jump' rather then a reaction to them saying 'jump'. Pre-tension basically gets your muscles ready to explode and locks all your joints so you are more efficient in your response, both in regards to time as well as overall performance.
This is my understanding of it as well. I also think there is a small window of about 1 second or less where you lose the benefits of pre-tension if done too early. You kind of “stall out” for lack of a better word.

Jun 1, 2015
I definitely appreciate the good conversation and feedback presented by everyone within this discussion. I do like the idea of the pre-hop "step" (I forget the name mentioned earlier in the thread and I'm not inclined enough to look at the moment) to get the body moving before approaching the hop, land, and movement. Definitely provided a lot of good material to consider for next season. Thanks. =) ~GC~

May 10, 2021
This is for a 16U rec-level program. We are NOT travel ball or anything close. In my area (upstate NY - southern Adirondacks), we have a lot of girls who need some extra softball but can't afford the time/monetary commitment to play travel softball, so I'm the organizer/"Commissioner" of a rec-level local league. We have teams in different towns (usually within about a 1-hour drive or so from each other), we play a "regular season" schedule and a one-day playoff tournament between the last week of June and the last week of July/first week of August. It's designed for the girls who need/would like some extra softball/practice in a low-commitment environment to where they can learn, grow, and stay active over the summer before fall sports begin again. This year, with the shortened HS season, they needed this more than anything. We had 4 teams this year (lowest since I've been involved since 2014 - usually we have between 8-11). Most teams are a mixture of modified and JV (even some young varsity) softball players - a couple of teams have some 6th grade/youth-level girls. It's usually a "take who you can get" type of league.

In the case of my team this year, I had 15 girls (most I've ever had on one team since I've started):
8 from one modified team from School A (they won 1 game all season because they had NO coaching)
2 from one modified team from Schol B (they went 3-5, nothing spectacular)
3 from a town youth program with School A (that was a nightmare - coaches/parents had no control, etc.)
2 from the varsity team from School A (they went winless all season - no JV team here either)
(Full Disclosure - I had ZERO behavior or attitude issues with the girls - GREAT group of ladies, and the parents (for the most part) were very supportive, even with their criticisms of my coaching - we went 0-13 this season, which I almost expected just from what I saw of their HS games. I knew NO girls going into this and 1 parent, so I went in completely unbiased to everything.)

So I feel like I'm trying in my weekly practices to make up for everything they weren't getting during the HS season. Many of the girls thanked me for teaching certain things because they weren't being taught them on their HS teams, but I'm trying to find newer drills or setups to really cement the things they SHOULD know (like leading off a base, taking a creep-step to field a ground ball, etc.) It's hard when the HS coaches who can't coach teach them things that are inherently wrong and then they lose, get discouraged, and it's all they know - losing. I'm not trying to consciously stress myself out over making up what they lack - I think it's subconsciously me doing it - I just want them to be successful playing softball.)
Thank you for stepping up coaching. It is REALLY DIFFICULT at the rec level. I just wanted to remind you of the positive impact you have on these kids.

There is value in REC ball.

Continue to develop these kids you wont regret it.

Our local girls HS varsity basketball finally hired an AWESOME coach with a never day die attitude.
1st year 0 wins
2nd year 6 wins
3rd year 12 wins
4th year State quarter finalist.

Jun 8, 2016
I definitely appreciate the good conversation and feedback presented by everyone within this discussion. I do like the idea of the pre-hop "step" (I forget the name mentioned earlier in the thread and I'm not inclined enough to look at the moment) to get the body moving before approaching the hop, land, and movement. Definitely provided a lot of good material to consider for next season. Thanks. =) ~GC~
Prep step

Jun 8, 2016

Look at the glove positioning for the SS..glove thumb up, ready to move. See too many MI with the glove too low and in front with pocket already facing the batter..if you have to move to the ball you are not going to move from that position (at least not effectively).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2015
I'm in agreement there. Sadly, I did not spend enough time at the start of my season going over proper stance and such for infield/outfield, and it showed when my girls were not charging softballs (even basic ground balls) because they weren't coached that way before. Some girls have their gloves down before the ball is even released, some never get their gloves down, etc. I think by teaching something similar to this hop, then they are all moving and I can more clearly see who isn't. Not for punishment purposes, mind you, but to see who isn't following directions so I can help them if necessary. Doesn't have to be a major hop - I like what these BB players are doing with the simple hop that gets them moving.

May 21, 2018
Look at the glove positioning for the SS..glove thumb up, ready to move. See too many MI with the glove too low and in front with pocket already facing the batter..if you have to move to the ball you are not going to move from that position (at least not effectively).
Agree with the above big time. DD's middle school coach wanted the glove on the ground facing the batter. He wanted them to work ground up, which I get, but it's a terrible position to move laterally from. Plus, most girls got back on their heels making it even worse.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom