Tax Deductible?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I just heard from a coach that purchases for teams are tax deductible. If so, what kinds of costs can be included? For example, I just bought $40 worth of gift bags for my year end community ed. basketball team--would that count? Looking back at my equipment purchases for my teams (2 soccer teams, keepers on two more, weekly free keeper clinics, 1 basketball team and 1 softball team,) I'm guessing it's well over $1K and year.

Thanks,
Ken

May 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
probably depends on if the team/association is a registered non-profit and if you are buying something for the team (ie equipment) rather than something for a player. I would love to be able to get tax deduction for all of my daughter's gear.

Jul 28, 2008
I deduct my travel expenses to and from all tournaments/practices, hotels, gear, etc. that is team/organization related. I did the same back when I coached my kids in rec leagues.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Yup I deduct all my travel expenses as well. Mileage to and from practices and tournaments. Typically for gear I just buy my own, that way if I leave for whatever reason that stuff belongs to me and not the team/organization.

Now from what I understand, if it is an item that the kid keeps it cannot be used for tax deductions. Is that correct?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Softball is rec and I plan to use the gear with the same club for several years. The soccer teams are also rec, but the free clinics for goalkeepers includes kids from rec on up to the WA State Olympic Developmental Program. I'm guessing I need to keep that gear out of the mix. Thanks for your input. This site seems to have the most useful live-time info on the net!

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
I deduct my travel expenses to and from all tournaments/practices, hotels, gear, etc. that is team/organization related. I did the same back when I coached my kids in rec leagues.

I assume you can do that deduction because you are a coach, correct? I coach one of my daughters but the other one I'm simply a fan so in the case where I'm not a coach I would not be able to deduct mileage etc... Is my understanding correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45