Take the signal from the catcher standing in back of the pitching plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Yes, if the pitcher is playing games, the batter can also. DGD can be a little devil when she wants too. Playing in an ASA tournament, the pitcher was very good at varying her delivery time. Sometimes she would take the signal from the back of the plate, some times on the plate. All legal in my perspective but disruptive to the hitters. DGD was the first batter of the inning with an 0-2 count. Pitcher is half way through her wind up and DGD actually starts backing out of the box at a fast pace. Pitcher sees her movement and delivers the pitch over the catchers head. The next three pitches were not even close.

Bye the same token, this weekend, the opposing coach talked to the umpire in between innings. The umpire came over and actually told our coach that the pitcher had to take the signal while on the plate. Our coach told him it was no big deal but he felt he was wrong and blue should reread the rule. Looks like our coach was right.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The umpire came over and actually told our coach that the pitcher had to take the signal while on the plate.

This is another one of those common rule misinterpretations that you hear repeated over and over and over again. I can't even count how many times I've had this come up before.

It simply isn't true.

The rules require the pitcher to take, or simulate taking, a signal once engaged with the pitching plate. All this is supposed to do is get the pitcher to pause before stepping on and rolling through with the pitch.

The rules do not prohibit the pitcher from taking a signal from any spot other than the pitching plate.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
There is nothing in any rule book about "If the pitcher gains an advantage". The rule states that the pitcher must pause to take the signal or simulate taking the signal from the catcher with hands separated after stepping onto the pitching plate. This is to avoid a quick pitch. I watch to see if the pitcher uses the same motion to step onto the pitching plate and immediately starts her motion or brings hands together, then this is an illegal pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00