Take the signal from the catcher standing in back of the pitching plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
In this weekend's tourney, a pitcher took the signal from the catcher standing one to two feet from behind the pitching plane. Then she would walk up to the pitching plate and start her motion.

She did have a momentary pause as she walked onto the rubber before she started her motion. So it did not seem that she was gaining a great deal of advantage from walking up to the pitching plate.

Is this an illegal pitch?

Jun 22, 2008
The pitcher can take the signal from anywhere they like. The rule merely states they must simulate taking a signal once they have stepped onto the pitching plate with the hands separated.

Also, there is nothing in the rule about "gaining an advantage". Either the pitcher is legal or they are not, the umpire should not be determining if a possible illegal act by the pitcher is or is not gaining an advantage.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Thanks Comp. She definitely did not pause long enough to simulate taking a signal after stepping on the pitcher's plate.

I mentioned "gaining an advantage" angle because that was the umpire's rationale for taking no action.

The batters mentioned the timing was a little distracting because she took the signal from behind and then walked up to the pitching plate. They felt like they were waiting too long for the pitch and then it felt quicker that the speed would indicate because the pause was so short when she strode onto the pitcher's plate.

The fact that you keep mentioning that there was a definite pause is probably good enough to preclude any umpire from calling it illegal. If it was really distracting your batters can practice a little gamesmanship as well, as long as the ump allows wait until you see she is getting the signal before stepping into the box (if the pitcher is just standing around behind the plate most ump won't force a batter to stand at the ready), maybe step in really early and look ready in the box after 10 seconds of her waiting and getting the signal ask for time as she steps towards the pitching plate (make sure you are ready in case ump does not grant it). The pitcher is going to control the pace of the game but batters are not helpless up there they have tools at their disposal as well.

Jun 22, 2008
Over the past few years umpires have been instructed not to grant time to a batter unless there is a legitimate reason. If you are going to have your batters attempt to play games with a pitcher by calling time, the batter should be very sure the umpire has actually awarded time prior to stepping out of the box or not paying attention to the delivery of the pitch.

Apr 6, 2012
If the pitcher is going to play games and take forever to get the signal and deliver the pitch, then I instruct my hitters to ask for time. Doing it once or twice usually helps things move along. My kids always wait to see if they have been granted time or not.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am waiting for Comp to talk about this further, but a pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the ball, after the umpire signals that he is ready. That is a life time. She needs to be on the pitcher's plate for 1-10 seconds, before delivering the ball.

Comp or other umpires, help me out with these times. Is it 20 and 10 seconds? or 20 seconds total? Thanks

I don't call it taking forever. I call it playing within the rules.

Jun 22, 2008
The pitcher has 20 seconds to deliver the pitch after receiving the ball back in the circle. The pitcher still has 20 seconds if the ball has been dead and the umpire indicates play ball. The pitcher may not keep the hands together longer than 10 seconds.

Just counting various pitchers I have watched, the average pitcher is typically between 13 and 16 seconds. And yes, 20 seconds is a pretty long time.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The pitcher has 10 seconds to deliver the ball from the time they bring the hands together.

That isn't that long on anyone's watch.

I guess what the OP was talking about is how that time is distributed, if the pitcher is going to spend 80% or 90% of her time behind the plate then once she gets the sign step up pause for a second then pitch it sound very disruptive to the batters but also perfectly within the rules. You will notice I said in both instances "as the ump allows" and "in case the ump does not grant" ultimately it is the ump who can dictate what is going to happen. My thinking behind the batter using whatever tactics they can is to restore a normal flow to the game, we all know what feels right and if the rhythm is not right you can just feel it, even as an umpire I never wanted to feel rushed by a pitcher moving too fast or waiting a while for one going slow. If the batter feels out of sorts the umpire probably does too and might be more inclined to grant time to restore the flow of the game.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00