Swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Paralysis by analysis only happens if you don’t understand what your looking at. If you understand the swing you can tell what needs improved.
I agree. Too bad most don’t know what it is that they don’t know.

There also comes a point where some players get to a level where they need someone beyond whoever got them that far.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I am here to learn. I don't understand why there is so much analysis for something that lasts less than a second. It would seem that there are numerous ways to swing at a ball and they mostly seem to work. Are you saying that every single hitter, has one thing in common, and necessary to be successful? I can guess that it is at the very moment of contact perhaps. Does it matter how the hitter gets there, as long as they get there? And, what is being successful? Hitting a homerun? A line drive to the gap? What makes one swing more "acceptable" than another, all things being equal? Is it hitting for a higher average? Because a lot of home run hitters might not have higher averages. If that's the measure, then everyone would try to hit like Ted Williams. I don't understand. I would think that a person's bone structure, muscle twitch, ligaments are all somewhat individual to that person and whatever way they find to accomplish the task, is fine for them. Maybe because of this, they can't all swing the same way. Are you all debating that there should be just one way? I find many swings to be beautiful, and many are unique. Isn't that what makes it all so interesting? It is up to the individual's coach to tweak that hitter to make the most of what they are capable of doing and to do it as simply as possible. Trying to mold them into something they are not, seems counter intuitive.

There's so much analysis because that "less than a second" moment is the most difficult skill in sports (hitting moving round ball with a moving round stick), and is the biggest factor for success in the game. The analysis and dissection of the details of what the best in the game do to be successful are how we help the young ladies we work with become best they can be.

Some of us are coaches. Some of us only work with our own DDs. The folks that post a lot in this section generally love the discussion of swing mechanics details, and the debate that goes with it.

You are correct that every person is put together differently, but there are fundamental movements that are common with every high-level hitter. Helping young hitters build a swing that includes those common elements is going to give them the best chance to continue to have success as they progress against tougher competition.

You are also correct that there are some softball players who are able to be successful with unconventional swings. A big part of this is 200' fences, and hot bats in the hands of strong athletes. However, in many cases, those unconventional swings can also have a lower ceiling for success.

What is success? Hitting the ball hard, consistently, against the most challenging competition for their age. This means not only being quick enough to react to the fastest speeds, but also the ability to adjust to changes of speed and movement. Flaws in a hitter's mechanics can impede their ability to be successful. My DD has been at, or near, the top of her team for both average and power, on almost every team she's played on, since she was 10. I consider her a "successful" hitter. I attribute it to her being a talented and strong athlete, AND putting in the dedicated work to develop swing mechanics that help her get the most out of her athletic abilities.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There's so much analysis because that "less than a second" moment is the most difficult skill in sports (hitting moving round ball with a moving round stick), and is the biggest factor for success in the game. The analysis and dissection of the details of what the best in the game do to be successful are how we help the young ladies we work with become best they can be.

Some of us are coaches. Some of us only work with our own DDs. The folks that post a lot in this section generally love the discussion of swing mechanics details, and the debate that goes with it.

You are correct that every person is put together differently, but there are fundamental movements that are common with every high-level hitter. Helping young hitters build a swing that includes those common elements is going to give them the best chance to continue to have success as they progress against tougher competition.

You are also correct that there are some softball players who are able to be successful with unconventional swings. A big part of this is 200' fences, and hot bats in the hands of strong athletes. However, in many cases, those unconventional swings can also have a lower ceiling for success.

What is success? Hitting the ball hard, consistently, against the most challenging competition for their age. This means not only being quick enough to react to the fastest speeds, but also the ability to adjust to changes of speed and movement. Flaws in a hitter's mechanics can impede their ability to be successful. My DD has been at, or near, the top of her team for both average and power, on almost every team she's played on, since she was 10. I consider her a "successful" hitter. I attribute it to her being a talented and strong athlete, AND putting in the dedicated work to develop swing mechanics that help her get the most out of her athletic abilities.
Well said Eric.

Jun 8, 2016
the pivoting of the knee needs to happen before the hands launch. That’s the sequence I’m referring too.
TM likes that sequence too...

Rta3Ix2.gif

:p

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
W=W, I thought (from reading your other post) your proto type of an ideal swing would have preferred the 2013 swing. Handsy and emphasis on 'striking'. As I mentioned before I tried that type of swing (2013) with the idea of the figure skater pulling her arms in to create rotational speed/ power. What I thought in theory was very short lived. Overruled by DD.
That being said, I am all in favor of experimenting. Try different grips, stances (taller/shorter), different swing thoughts. Helps them become more aware. I have her hit left handed most sessions. Body awareness.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I don’t think we achieve it the same way though.
Yeah I was being a pain..😉 TBH I think he ascribes to the supination occurring before the leg “snap” so technically not the same if you call that (his) hand launch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
W=W, I thought (from reading your other post) your proto type of an ideal swing would have preferred the 2013 swing. Handsy and emphasis on 'striking'. As I mentioned before I tried that type of swing (2013) with the idea of the figure skater pulling her arms in to create rotational speed/ power. What I thought in theory was very short lived. Overruled by DD.
That being said, I am all in favor of experimenting. Try different grips, stances (taller/shorter), different swing thoughts. Helps them become more aware. I have her hit left handed most sessions. Body awareness.

i post my kid all the time as an example of what I teach. As well as others.. So I don’t know what led you to believe I like the 2013 model. I don’t use rotation as a power source. Don’t think I’ve ever said that. Rotation is the result of good sequence and ground force. I’ve never said I want handsy type swings. But I want the hands used.. after the back leg stabilizes and the shift of the pelvis is complete.

here’s one from today.

1641097589785.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01