Swinging down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Kinda like a kickstand on a motorcycle, it has weight but it’s not really weighted?

if there is a kick stand. I believe it’s in the back leg. Not the front. And the weight it bears isn’t maxed out. It lessens to an extent as the swing loads. It assists the lowering of the hips and front foot into the ground. Like an elevator. It loads the swing. Gives it that running start also.

the pivoting/shifting of the pelvis is done w the back leg. Hips before hands etc. without early extension if you’re using the ground. which can be done w the front foot in the air which isn’t launch. Launch is when the hands come forward. Point of no return etc.

1640963508361.gif

Of course sequencing needs to be right. I believe the ‘swing’ pivots around the spine. But the pelvis pivots through the back leg.

there’s a lot of talk about the front leg and GRF. I think it’s nonsense when they say the front leg is responsible for this. I think it’s the back leg and how it pivots the pelvis early. Yes the front leg completes the swing. But it doesn’t supply nearly as much force as the back leg into the ‘swing’. It’s a no teach as far as the front leg is concerned imo. My .02

Jun 8, 2016
if there is a kick stand. I believe it’s in the back leg. Not the front. And the weight it bears isn’t maxed out. It lessens to an extent as the swing loads.
I don't understand how you are using the word weight in the bolded unless you mean that once both feet are on the ground (after a stride) the back foot pressure (and hence the load through the back leg) continues to decrease as the swing progresses.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't understand how you are using the word weight in the bolded unless you mean that once both feet are on the ground (after a stride) the back foot pressure (and hence the load through the back leg) continues to decrease as the swing progresses.

At top of gather to foot down is what I mean. It goes more to the middle w foot still in the air.

Jun 8, 2016
At top of gather to foot down is what I mean. It goes more to the middle w foot still in the air.
Lol..so center of mass is what you are referring to. I should have known this already since we have had
that conversation about 200 times already 🤣

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Lol..so center of mass is what you are referring to. I should have known this already since we have had
that conversation about 200 times already 🤣

yes I never said pressure. But the weight is moving forward w the back foot in the ground. The pressure does lessen before launch though

Jun 8, 2016
just so we are clear.. it’s shift then swing as far as I’m concerned. 😆
If we are talking about COM, I don't think anybody would disagree with that. You are basically saying you swing from a balanced position. I think the swing is the shift crowd are talking about the shift in back and front foot pressure, eg one legged is having more pressure on the back foot when you swing (say 70/30 or something)..you can do that from a balanced (in terms of COM) position since, like you said, the COM moves to the middle while the foot is still in the air (100/0 in that case).

Last edited: