Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
when you have 99% of the best hitters in the world saying, practicing, demoing the exact same thing, that's more than smoke.
Me hit ball. Hitters are not the brightest bulbs. I'm just saying.
depositphotos_61085887-stock-illustration-caveman-with-club-character.jpg

May 12, 2016
Curious... The claim is that the demo is what the pros actually do, with the exception of posture. If that's the case, why don't the pros demo their posture? Do they think posture isn't important?
I am interested in what the aren't saying as well, but more interested in what they ARE saying.

They are saying;
Down to

They aren't saying;
TTB

I know every time I mention TTB people get offended or refer back to TM. Regardless what you believe TTB is or any other kind of forced pivot, hand/forearm motion to get the bat on plane asap... "Down to" is the exact opposite as per pro demo.

We all can agree that pros have excellent sequence and posture. Posture and good sequence is an athletic movement IMO, you see it in a lot of sports besides baseball as well. What the hitter does with their hands is fine tuning and isolated, that's why the pros talk about and isolate their hands so much. I can't tell you what isn't important to them, but it's obvious what is, "down to"JMHO

For me, I stopped looking at what they weren't saying, and focused on what they were saying

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
work on stabilizing the obliques during his negative move. Look when hips leverage here. Earlier. right at positive move. I think that’s why he sways and his hands go back so far. That’s what I would work on.

View attachment 23118
I think i have been on this forum too long, i am kinda understanding what you are saying 🤣. My thought was his hands get sooo far back. You explain it to stabilize the obliques. I guess however it needs to be 'felt' to get done. I think what you are saying is don't move the hands back so far.

From that point the gif shows how it is a cross sectional swing down as far back hands at shoulder go down to and in front of waist. The extension of the hands at contact seems too far extended if that makes sense. The hands are outracing the torso from go which makes the swing look very armsy. As well that they are going down away from the shoulders and not at any time seeming to be on the same plane as the shoulders.

I think you would lose the outraced / armsy swing with what @W=W says as well as trying to get into a better leveraged posture that will help bring the tilt needed to bring hands around with the shoulders and eliminate the long swing.

It is definitely a 'down to' swing. I am going thru my own journey for sure, so not trying to throw stones, just observations.

1626873496201.png
kqYnLh8.gif

May 12, 2016
I believe that they are trying to do what they say they are doing..they have no reason to lie. Just not convinced that those working with young players need to worry about this particular topic.
Gotta do whatever is best for the young hitters.. never disagreed with that. I believe sequence and posture(especially maintaining) to be most important. Of course not too mention things like timing and hand/eye etc

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Can someone point out to me where the "hand pump" we see Bonds demonstrate happens in this swing? Looks like a barrel turning behind the shoulder to me.

If you want to see what his hands are doing - stop looking at the barrel - look at his hands.

May 21, 2018
If you want to see what his hands are doing - stop looking at the barrel - look at his hands.

I'm not following you. His hands aren't doing anything but holding onto the bat. His arms and torso look to be turning, maybe even torqueing, the bat into a palm up/palm up position. I don't see his arms coming forward, but staying connected to his rear shoulder.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I'm not following you. His hands aren't doing anything but holding onto the bat. His arms and torso look to be turning, maybe even torqueing, the bat into a palm up/palm up position. I don't see his arms coming forward, but staying connected to his rear shoulder.

This is turning forcing a loop of the barrel.

2AkuNEZ.gif

8cuVuk9.gif

May 21, 2018
Bonds floats the barrel (free hands) before swinging "down to"

WnMofwA.gif

hFRJQPk.gif

3wLHMQV.gif
At the very end of the first. gif it looks like he is starting to torque the barrel rearward. Yes I agree his hands/arms are working freely up to that point. I don't see anything that would indicate "down to" in the 2nd .gif. Looks to me like he snaps the barrel rearward and uncoils. 3rd .gif he goes down and gets an off speed pitch.

Interesting discussion, but I think I need to give up. I just can't see what you are seeing. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't see it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish