Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Yep... So if I am working with a youngster, what should I work on? Swinging down? or sequence and posture? My answer is definitely sequence and posture.
100% agree, but I will say that teaching good hand path and bat path should be included in that.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
These guys also swing "down to" so they can attempt to see the ball hit the bat out front.. They are attempting to control where the barrel strikes the ball.. Far different then just trying to get the bat behind the ball..

JztfOzz.gif

FT4Qktc.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP, I'm having a hard time getting past your 1st sentence because I clearly stated this " I am interested in what the aren't saying as well, but more interested in what they ARE saying." Stop putting words in my mouth.

Edit: Chill out, when I say TTB, I am not attacking you or anybody else for that matter. The only reason I mention TTB is because it's a complete contradiction of what the pros say when they talk about down to... it's not personal

Show me a student(or swing the bat yourself) with excellent posture and great sequence with a down to approach and bad barrel path

Before you get upset, go back and look at your original post. Yes, you do state that. But the very last sentence of your post states, and I quote "For me, I stopped looking at what they weren't saying, and focused on what they were saying". So, no, I am not putting words in your mouth. I am using the exact words that you posted.

I'm cool with your other comments. I'm not upset. Just trying to make a point.

Oct 2, 2017
For me a youth player, should not be taught "Down to" just off a whim. I think teaching them some basic ground rules or goals of what they should be doing to allow them to get to a good position to swing from, and barrel control (Barrel and hand path) that follows that they should try to produce. will go a long way to set a foundation to build on.

May 21, 2018
He's snapping the barrel rearward right? Or is he presetting the direction? For example; This is a low pitch, he doesn't need to preset because the direction already on path... is he TTB here?
View attachment 23130
Are you saying he isn't doing what he clearly demonstrated in the interview? He said he "reverseS the swing", and shows the barrel turning backwards.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Before you get upset, go back and look at your original post. Yes, you do state that. But the very last sentence of your post states, and I quote "For me, I stopped looking at what they weren't saying, and focused on what they were saying". So, no, I am not putting words in your mouth. I am using the exact words that you posted.

I'm cool with your other comments. I'm not upset. Just trying to make a point.
Yes that is a little misleading because I contradicted what I said in the opening paragraph... I was just trying to say that I am more focused on what they are saying, doesn't mean I am not interested in what they aren't which TBH should be apparent in the majority of my posts because I keep referring to posture and sequence. In regards to your comments about "very telling", I'm not upset either, but that's horseshit. IDC we can call TTB something else.. but that's what we are all familiar with.

May 12, 2016
Are you saying he isn't doing what he clearly demonstrated in the interview? He said he "reverse the swing", and shows the barrel turning backwards.
I'm saying what he is demonstrating in the interview is not TTB.. not the way I understand it. He presets.. gets the barrel on plane(this not a power move) and then takes the knob to the ball, hence why I posted this vid. He doesn't need to preset.. barrel is already on plane. Is he TTB here? Down to is relative to pitch location, JD's preset is relative to pitch location. How much JD's barrel floats down(thanks TDS, using your term here :)) is relative to pitch location. JD's barrel floats more on a high pitch.. he's not snapping the barrel rearward.

gif (42).gif