Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2019
I tried to keep up, but have no idea what swing down means. I played baseball through HS/college and have coached baseball & softball for over 20 yrs but have never once heard anyone suggest we should swing down.

These discussions are confusing to me, I can only imagine how confused a 12 YO gets.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
For those trying to follow along..

This is NOT a fyb leveraged position to swing down from

QzqT3ZX.gif

Learn how to move without allowing the weight to shift across the pelvis to the lead leg (no swing). This isn't a difficult move if the focus is stretching within the s-plane (head to toe).

IyWGYIo.gif

c30mmxd.gif

AlalH0c.png

Jun 8, 2016
For those trying to follow along..

This is NOT a fyb leveraged position to swing down from

QzqT3ZX.gif

Learn how to move without allowing the weight to shift across the pelvis to the lead leg (no swing). This isn't a difficult move if the focus is stretching within the s-plane (head to toe).

IyWGYIo.gif

c30mmxd.gif

AlalH0c.png
Like Mud said, and I think you would probably agree, for young hitters I think the focus should first be to get to a good position to launch from and then at that point see where your hitter is at.

Oct 2, 2017
Like Mud said, and I think you would probably agree, for young hitters I think the focus should first be to get to a good position to launch from and then at that point see where your hitter is at.
This is spot on! One of the hardest things that I notice is how they view the purpose of the forward move/stride. They think the purpose is to take you to the ball or go get the ball. I've tried to have them understand that its not to take you to the ball, but to take you to a place to swing from and hit the ball from.

edit: This may be the reason among many, that younger players lunge or get over the front sometimes.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I tried to keep up, but have no idea what swing down means. I played baseball through HS/college and have coached baseball & softball for over 20 yrs but have never once heard anyone suggest we should swing down.

These discussions are confusing to me, I can only imagine how confused a 12 YO gets.
What were you taught in HS/College, and what do you teach your players in baseball and softball?

Jun 22, 2019
What were you taught in HS/College, and what do you teach your players in baseball and softball?

To hit the ball.

If a kid is dropping their hands and uppercutting we talk about getting our hands to the ball and about where/how to finish. Mainly we hit hundreds of balls off a tee and adjust as necessary.

It really depends on the kid and what makes sense to them.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

This is just crazy that you have played HS/college and have never herd "swing down".

May 12, 2016
To hit the ball.

If a kid is dropping their hands and uppercutting we talk about getting our hands to the ball and about where/how to finish. Mainly we hit hundreds of balls off a tee and adjust as necessary.

It really depends on the kid and what makes sense to them.
Right, so you are trying to eliminate too much loop which is causing the uppercut. "Hands to the ball" means you want to be more direct to the ball... "down to" shares many of the same concepts. One thing to keep in mind, how much "down to" is relative to pitch location, but it's still the same hand motion

Reactions: TDS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse