Swing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
But we have experts and gurus on this site, that’s why I said to MB, pick up a bat and video tape being down to with good sequence and posture…. His response was “you would only say I didn’t have good posture”. So?? That could potentially be the key. Right?
Right. Like I said in this tread earlier...
Yes, that's basically the idea behind "hit the ball with your rear hip", to get the players in a better posture leading into the actual swing/launch of the bat. This is pretty much just a simplified cue of Ted's teaching(s)....
Most pitchers will come in below the waist, because the low pitch is tougher to hit. The flight of the ball is down (see diagram), about 5 degrees. A slight upswing—again, led by the hips coming around and up—puts the bat flush in line with the path of the ball for a longer period—that 12- to 18-inch impact zone.
The problem that I saw with all of the hitters that came to me with the previous "swing down" or "knob/hands to the ball", was that in order to do that, the had to get out out on their lead leg, and then swing the bat. IOWs, just the cue of "swing down", screws up the developing hitter's sequence almost automatically
Notice that I didn't say it screws up an MLB player's sequence. Big difference IMO...and since I coach developing hitters, and not MLBers, I'll stick with what works for me and the hitters who come to me for help.

If others are finding success with their swings and/or their hitters' swings with "swing down"...stick with it, I'm not trying to change anyone's choices of what or how they want to coach youth hitters.

But it's not like this "swing down" stuff is new or anything, and it's not like I haven't "been there, done that" before as it was already coached to me years ago. It didn't work for me then, or the hitters who were taught it before they came to me.

Heck, could be that it's not teaching "swing down" is the problem, but maybe it's being able to teach the proper sequence and posture that's the fly in the ointment. Might be that it'd be better having a discussion on teaching proper sequence and posture before talking about talking about "swing down". Could just be that the horse it getting put in front of the cart. Dunno, just a thought. 🤷‍♂️

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Are we looking for a real FYB down to approach type swing?

1626652749289.gif

1626653568818.gif

I got a few more Swings if you would like to see them. I’m pretty sure you can see the pro chop. Ask any questions you like. I will be happy to answer them.

May 12, 2016
I guess I just don’t get the point of posting a flawed swing as a way to teach anything but to each their own.
I posted my swing because Clem posted his thoughts… figured it would be refreshing to see what people’s thoughts are visualized through their swing. Yes I knew my swing was flawed when posting, but people can learn from that as well.

May 12, 2016
In what way? You get pissy and decide to stop posting…kind of like a “take my ball and go home” sort of thing. I’ve done it a few times…
You may have … but I haven’t. Oh yes I get pissed off with people, I’m human after all, I just don’t have the “take my ball and go home” tantrum

Apr 11, 2015

View attachment 23082 View attachment 23083

I got a few more Swings if you would like to see them. I’m pretty sure you can see the pro chop. Ask any questions you like. I will be happy to answer them.
Thanks for the clips W=w.

But I have to ask, do you not see this hitter getting out on her lead leg to swing the bat (especially in the second swing), and getting her hands ahead of her hips? Do you think she's in the correct "hips then hands" sequence that I think we both agree with?

May 12, 2016

View attachment 23082

View attachment 23083

MLB hitters everyday, every at bat… they say it, they demo it, they practice it and they do it.

that’s why I asked MB to give me an example of somebody being FYB with good posture while being down to and not producing good barrel path. Instead I got vids of A student that was ABAF and stories of hitting in high school where he was ABAF…

This is not productive

Jun 8, 2016
This is not productive
You may have … but I haven’t. Oh yes I get pissed off with people, I’m human after all, I just don’t have the “take my ball and go home” tantrum

View attachment 23082

View attachment 23083

Second pitch offspeed?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The entire sequence is core based. The load is the key. Resisting FYB gets you FYB which puts the arms/hands in a position to chop.
Thanks for the clips W=w.

But I have to ask, do you not see this hitter getting out on her lead leg to swing the bat (especially in the second swing), and getting her hands ahead of her hips? Do you think she's in the correct "hips then hands" sequence that I think we both agree with?

oh yes. but her hips shift her forward. she is 50/50. Does she reach a bit? Sure. But her pelvis shifts first, big difference. But she controls her shift. That second pitch was a change up. Great adjustment. Is she hips before hands. Oh yeah. the only requirement to FYB is hands back before launch. And no shift into the frontside. You may not agree and that’s ok. But it’s all there

FYB

1626655298471.gif

May 12, 2016
Right. Like I said in this tread earlier...

Notice that I didn't say it screws up an MLB player's sequence. Big difference IMO...and since I coach developing hitters, and not MLBers, I'll stick with what works for me and the hitters who come to me for help.

If others are finding success with their swings and/or their hitters' swings with "swing down"...stick with it, I'm not trying to change anyone's choices of what or how they want to coach youth hitters.

But it's not like this "swing down" stuff is new or anything, and it's not like I haven't "been there, done that" before as it was already coached to me years ago. It didn't work for me then, or the hitters who were taught it before they came to me.

Heck, could be that it's not teaching "swing down" is the problem, but maybe it's being able to teach the proper sequence and posture that's the fly in the ointment. Might be that it'd be better having a discussion on teaching proper sequence and posture before talking about talking about "swing down". Could just be that the horse it getting put in front of the cart. Dunno, just a thought. 🤷‍♂️
Like I said before you gotta do what’s best for you and your hitters, that’s what most important!

I believe you did say before you can’t produce major league barrel path by simply being FYB and having good posture with down to. That’s why I asked you to show me that. If I misunderstood, that’s on me.

Maybe these disagreements arise from those who say the MLBers are wrong, they don’t know what they are doing and we we all get sucked in

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse