Suggestions please! : Are Backyard or Indoor Batting Cages needed for travel ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta, GA
pennsbury10.jpgHello coaches, players, and parents,

I am a former collegiate fastpitch player (ECU'94), who grew up in MD playing travel ball for Wagners. Growing up, we used any walls, fencing, rigged up netting you name it that we could get our hands on to get our swings in during the offseason. We practiced year-round as most great teams do. We typically used shared gyms/facilities to practice, and definitely didn't own our own batting cage. Now, there are many facilities you can rent as a team to practice in, whether it be fielding area or pitching tunnels, but of course none of that comes cheap.
Here's my question: my company manufactures custom portable batting cages that are used at the HS and collegiate level. I really feel that there is a need for our product within travel ball teams as well, or even to be able to move from coaches house to coaches house, to conduct practices. This same cage COULD accompany the team to a tournament and allow the girls to warm up before each game rather than hitting into an open field or a small net. We ARE working to develop a "backyard mode" per sey, at a lower price point, but in doing so, I need to know the amount of money that a team deems is worth spending on a portable cage. Basically, I may feel all day long that this is the best way to go, but if a team views the cage as not something they NEED, or simply Ok with their current means of practicing hitting in the off-season, do I really have the market in the travel ball world that I THINK I do? Please share your thoughts on team needs, your current solutions, and maybe even most helpful, what $$'s a typical team spends in a year renting facilities out for practice, etc... I truly appreciate any and all suggestions/insight!

Sep 17, 2009
I would be interested in this. You can't beat a cage for "controlled" bp -- not having to chase balls, etc. Keys for me would be:

- cost: $300=slam dunk (if it works). more than that, would have to weigh the benefits/cost
- portability and time for set-up
- sturdiness/safety
- ability to do front-toss safely with real softballs would be great. but honestly even controlling whiffle balls would be a benefit

I'll be honest, that picture looks a little "carnivally" lol! I think one of the issues to get past would be how such cages would be accepted at fields -- ie, blocking views, taking up space, etc -- especially as a pregame tool. As a practice tool--if it works and meets those conditions--it would have great value too.

Thanks for asking : >

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
looks like a blow up jump house, If it's similar in concept than tournament facilities would have to have electricity available or you would have to provide a portable generator, extension cords all over the place. In the back yard not so much of an issue

May 7, 2008
Tucson
With the advent of TCB balls, I have no use for a cage, anymore. I imagine that others might like to have one, though.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I too checked them out online. My concern is that how well does it stay put on a windy day?
Is it a constant air supply like a jump house or just filled as needed?
does it come in a 50-55' length or does it have to be piggybacked?

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Rich K- thank you for your reply. Let me answer, & then ask you a few direct questions based on your current response:
1. Cost- not even in that ballpark, our wholesale netting alone is much more $$
2. Portability: yes, time: desirable (10-20 min. Depending on cage size)
3. Sturdiness/safety: A+
4. 100% real balls.

"Carnivally" is exactly what we are NOT going for, but based on the structure & history of most inflatable products, we understand that can often be the initial impression. As far as the "field acceptability" we haven't heard those concerns at all actually, what's more the case is fields wanting to provide the space for them because they perhaps don't have permanent cages (or enough of them) at their fields, so these would allow lots of extra contained warm up space.

Now, my re-direct back to you: was $300 your honest evaluation of what you thought the cage would cost? And, when you stated "if it works" ...I think you speak to the perception & reality that consumers are inundated with so many "gimmicks" in the world of sports in general that it s hard to see the value or put your trust in a product that you have only seen, but not actually used? I appreciate you stating to weigh the benefits/costs. Since we almost exclusively build for the HS & Collegiate market, we would not want to produce anything less than a superior backyard product, but if the buyer isn't aware of the quality before buying, that will be a tough sell until the market becomes more familiar with our brand s performance. And if cost is the biggest factor (even if its the easiest, strongest, best cage the customer could have imagined) is it still desirable?

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Axe- thanks for your reply & checking out my company (I assume you found the correct one, as we recently became aware of impostors) . You can email me at the site (its on my profile page) for more specific costs, but in general, the smallest current cage we build with delivery in the US is around $5K.

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Inde53546- thank you for your reply. It may resemble those novelty type products most people are familiar with, but they are completely different in person. No cords, no instant electricity. Minimal set up time with electricity only needed initially (and when taking down either that same day or 2 weeks later) . Backyards , I agree. The customers who do own this high-end model for their backyard, don't worry about HOA interference, & typically use them for individual or team lessons at their home. If interested, search us on YouTube sometime & you'll see live video which may give you a better feel for how they truly perform differently than what you may expect.
What these responses tell me is, that even though we have worked with the biggest companies & several schools throughout the US, most softball enthusiasts still have not even seen our cages before. Let me ask you a follow up question: do you or anyone you know own a standard cage of any type in their backyard currently? Is it common where you live? Or do most just rely on outdoor fields or indoor facilities for practice?

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Amy- thank you for your reply. Yes, the TCBballs weren't around when I played college ball (or at least not that I knew of) & as a coach I can see their usefulness. I also agree with you that many need to hit real balls for a variety of reasons, & hitting live in a cage is the perfect place to do that. Do you use any cages/nets? Or strictly the TCB balls every warm up?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA