Substitution gone wrong penalty?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

So I am the AC and HC is gone (deer hunting) so I'm juggling the line-up and trying to keep same rotation he has been using. I call out the line up during one of our at bats and the girls get ready in order, I see girl step into box let her know she is swinging away then realize I have not substituted her in, I ask for time but the ump correctly denies my request as the pitcher is on the plate and getting ready to pitch. After the pitch she lets me know why she did not grant time which I acknowledge was the correct thing then I inform her of why I was asking for time, the girl at the plate was a substitute that I had not informed the umpire about. She states it OK and that it is a correctable error and I can now substitute her in and everything is OK. This is fall ball (ASA rules) and everyone is very laid back but it just did not feel right,was this the right call?

Oct 18, 2009
I am not an ump. But I believe it is the correct call. This happened to us in a tournament. Our bookkeeper noticed the incorrect player from the other team at bat. A pitch was thrown. We informed the umpire. The other team apologized. Informed us of sub. No penalty.

After the inning the umpire told us next time wait for the at bat to be finished (in case it was a hit). Then I think she said she would rule that batter out. Can someone correct me if that is the wrong call?

Mar 13, 2010
David....

Short answer to your sitch, yes it was the right call (ASA 4.6.C.2.).
Substitute is now officially in the game and she continues her at bat with whatever the count was after that first pitch.

In situations involving unreported substitutes, offensive or defensive, (and not getting into every situation covered in 4.6) penalties (if applicable) against the offending team for violating the Substitution rule occur when brought to the attention of the umpires by the offended team.

And FWIW, unlike basketball (in which by rule there are five) there is no "correctable error" rule in softball.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
I am not an ump. But I believe it is the correct call. This happened to us in a tournament. Our bookkeeper noticed the incorrect player from the other team at bat. A pitch was thrown. We informed the umpire. The other team apologized. Informed us of sub. No penalty.

After the inning the umpire told us next time wait for the at bat to be finished (in case it was a hit). Then I think she said she would rule that batter out. Can someone correct me if that is the wrong call?

Yes. ASA 4.6.3.a. EFFECT

Feb 3, 2011

Oftentimes in the younger age groups with less experienced coaches, when a team bats out of order, a coach or parent of the defensive team will get bent out of shape and draw attention to the error during the player's at-bat. Realizing their mistake, the offensive team merely sends the correct batter to the plate to continue the at-bat with the existing count.

In order to get what amounts to a free out, the batter would need to complete the at-bat and then the player who failed to bat in her correct spot in the lineup would be declared out and the next batter in the lineup would start her at-bat, unless the result of her previous at-bat - when she batted out of order - was an out. In that case, there would be 2 outs and you'd skip to the next batter in the lineup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207