Strike Out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2008
IMHO, if that's the way the umpire calls the game, then he's probably pretty consistent with it and our job as coaches is to teach our players to be able to adjust to that - especially with 2 strikes.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
While I agree with what you say, there was one time I thought it was a positive that the umpire showed a little bias. DD was pitching and everytime the umpire would call a ball that she thought was a strike she would roll her eyes and/or shake her head. After the second batter the umpire called the coach over and basically said "I'm not going to be shown up by a 10 year old, she does it again and she's out of here". Coach relayed message to DD. Next pitch was down the middle. "BALL", DD didn't even flinch. After that he went back to calling a pretty good game. Best miscall ever for DD. She now knows that she isn't in charge and waits until well out of sight/hearing of Blue to whine. And yes, I did find Blue after game and thank him.

Cool story, and good for you for seeing the wisdom in it. Many parents, especially pitchers' parents, wouldn't. Your daughter learned about a lot more than softball that day!

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
IMO I think using a different approach may come across better. Such as, "Blue, I'm trying to help my girls adjust, is she hitting the front corner?" Then you aren't questioning his calls, but at the same time you bring awareness to the possible situation going on if the pitcher isn't hitting any part of the plate.

I had a coach take this exact same tack in a game last weekend. His pitcher was pretty wild, missing by a lot- high, low, inside, outside, you name it. She seemed particularly upset about a couple of outside pitches that she seemed to think were hitting the corner.

Between innings he approached me and asked, "Is she missing the corner on those pitches?".

If you think about it, what could the answer possibly be here? Did he really think I was going to say, "No, but I called them balls anyway"? :confused:

May 11, 2009
We had one like NV had last summer. The as my DD was batting he told the pitcher "2 more just like that" after throwing her first strike to her. DD looked at me in the at 3rd and I shrugged my shoulders and told her to "pick a good one and do something good with it". She did. Triple off the fence. Then as she came in to catch the next inning he told her she better not miss any. I asked her if he was joking and she said "NO". He then told our girls to hustle in and out on every exchange but never said a word to the other team who had a meeting in between every inning. I laughed out loud at him. I know that did not help the situation but we were not going to lose and it was the last game. I had never seen anything like it before or since.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Human nature does come into play here. I coach and have umpired
plenty of games. The coach who constantly whines to Blue during changeover
gets less and less calls. We all know how good pitches look from the bucket
in the opening of the dugout

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Human nature does come into play here. I coach and have umpired
plenty of games. The coach who constantly whines to Blue during changeover
gets less and less calls. We all know how good pitches look from the bucket
in the opening of the dugout

This doesn't happen with a real umpire. I cannot make an FYC, my brain will not permit it no matter how hard I try.

I also believe that too often that "giving" of calls is pure perception. Just because the call didn't go your way doesn't mean the umpire intentionally called it wrong just to screw with you.

Sep 3, 2009
When I sit on a bucket 15 to 20 feet away from home plate, I first watch where a catcher sets up and where she sets up the target. With an 0-2 or 1-2 pitch, a smart catcher sits up outside and puts the target 1-2 feet off the plate hoping the pitcher hits the target and the batter swings.

Remember, the Blue still has the better vantage point. Your view is only one dimensional from your dugout door. Blue can see both dimensions of the zone. As far as a "good catcher", at what level?? If this is 10C or 12C or Rec, then sure, let everyone know where the pitch is coming. At the higher levels a "good catcher" isn't going to give you that benefit. Oh you may see the catcher adjust to the outside, but I wouldn't bet the farm on the pitch being outside. ;)
And if this is a lower level game, C or Rec or the like, then Blue is probably using the catcher as an extra layer of protection. No sense in them standing in the open by themselves.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck