Streaming / Scoring Team Manager Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
That's basically my plan. Stream with my daughter's phone, record game on GoPro.
That is what I use to do. I would
use my DD's phone to livestream via GC, and use GoPros to record the game, in order to make highlights.

Last summer we started using TagUp, which is great. I have a second phone that is set up to record clips during the game, controlled through an apple watch interface. Each at bat is recorded and uploaded in real time, using the watch to start and stop the video on each pitch. It's a service through her organization.

Feb 1, 2022
That is what I use to do. I would
use my DD's phone to livestream via GC, and use GoPros to record the game, in order to make highlights.

Last summer we started using TagUp, which is great. I have a second phone that is set up to record clips during the game, controlled through an apple watch interface. Each at bat is recorded and uploaded in real time, using the watch to start and stop the video on each pitch. It's a service through her organization.

What's the benefit of TagUp? How is it different than grabbing clips from GC or from your GoPro?

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
Last spring we tried streaming and scoring my daughter's softball games using the Team Manager app but I had trouble logging into the same account from two different phones (one to stream, one to score) so we just stuck to streaming using TM and scoring on GC. I haven't attempted it again since last year and I'd like to migrate the whole operation to one app.

So now I'm just wondering if and how I can use the same account to stream and score the same game from two different phones?

View attachment 25099

I love my Mevos. For all of their shortcomings, they are great devices at a reasonable cost for a feature such as NDI. I mix three of them through OBS with a 5G router. The quality is excellent. Now back to your question; I’ve always been of the philosophy that if I’m doing all of this work with video set up and mixing, there must be someone besides myself who can contribute by doing scoring. I’ve not yet been disappointed to that end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
GC TM records it for you, so no need for two cameras.
I get your point, from a perspective of convenience. But, respectfully, from the perspective of quality and redundancy, dedicated devices for each process seems to yield better results. When I stream, I am limiting a lot of things just to get through the data roadblocks available for that particular field (which may have 300 other people eating bandwidth at the same time). The shot composition may be simplified to get a "good enough" shot of the main detail and look good for families watching on small screens remotely. But when I'm recording, I want the best. I want to be able to digitally zoom in to anything in post processing without losing all of the quality. I want a frame rate that makes sense for sports action, rather than having to compromise for data reasons. I also like knowing that if one device tanks, I have another one already up and running. Perhaps it is more work and not for everyone, but that goes back to the convenience vs quality aspect.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I get your point, from a perspective of convenience. But, respectfully, from the perspective of quality and redundancy, dedicated devices for each process seems to yield better results. When I stream, I am limiting a lot of things just to get through the data roadblocks available for that particular field (which may have 300 other people eating bandwidth at the same time). The shot composition may be simplified to get a "good enough" shot of the main detail and look good for families watching on small screens remotely. But when I'm recording, I want the best. I want to be able to digitally zoom in to anything in post processing without losing all of the quality. I want a frame rate that makes sense for sports action, rather than having to compromise for data reasons. I also like knowing that if one device tanks, I have another one already up and running. Perhaps it is more work and not for everyone, but that goes back to the convenience vs quality aspect.
Those are great ideas. I do it for my DD's recruiting only, so maybe streaming on GC isn't the best idea. I suspect a GoPro or something else might be the better option in the long run. This way I can record and edit to send to coaches and social media. What's the best camera option?

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Those are great ideas. I do it for my DD's recruiting only, so maybe streaming on GC isn't the best idea. I suspect a GoPro or something else might be the better option in the long run. This way I can record and edit to send to coaches and social media. What's the best camera option?
The most reliable GoPro is the HERO5. This was the last year that a 3rd party made their chipset. Ever since then GoPro has been developing their own in house and playing catch up. The 6 was horrible, but each model has gotten slightly better. The HERO9 and 10 record beautiful video, with the 10 slightly higher in quality than the 9, but have heat related issues that go away if you remove the internal battery (something we hadn't recommended in the past, but do now) and use external power exclusively. This is because GoPro changed the software (firmware) to recognize 2 different critical failure temperatures. When the internal battery is in place it is around 115 degrees. But when running without the battery, it is closer to 125 degrees.

All of our standard tests are using an ambient booth temperature of 100 degrees. This does not test sunlight on the screen, which is different. Those temperatures can be mitigated covering the camera with just about anything (we use a ball cap).

With internal battery (failed in 26 minutes):
1646244603381.png

No internal battery. Ran over 11 hours before 256GB card filled. (cold battery alert has been fixed in new firmware)
1646244744429.png

Test results of the test above:
1646245334106.png

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
What's the benefit of TagUp? How is it different than grabbing clips from GC or from your GoPro?
It's pretty much its own system for recruiting. Parents or coaches can go in and "tag" a players plays - like for a weekend, tag every at bat and every fielding play they made. The at bats are condensed down to just the pitches thrown, so coaches can get a real good look at full at bats, without having to watch 4 minutes for a single at bat. Also, a coach can say - I'm looking for a 2023 catcher, so I want to see all the throwdowns for outs that were made last weekend, and bam, at their fingertips. You can also pay to have their staff go and tag all the plays. (It's easy for the players and parents to do). You can send a coach to your tagup page, and it will have all your plays, all your at bats, all sorted and categorized for easy viewing and searching. TagUp is more a recruiting tool. It's a very cool system and so far we really like it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06