Starting a Softball Program

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Ok Ive been mostly a lurker on here for a while now without giving much input to this board. However I have been really busy with starting a softball division for our league. Yes this is little league softball.My dd is 7. We did winterball and to see her have fun with the girls was awesome! So I wanted to continue this for the next few years. However being that this is little league, does it benefit her to stay in this for a couple of years and let her get experience?? Or do I pull her out after a year or two of being on the league?
I do like the family environment of the league as well, just a lot of work getting this going, I don't want to see this fail.

Now this is my first year starting this up, and with this program launching in a month, what challenges do I face in starting something new?

What positive ideas can I bring to this organization and the girls to see that this will grow?

I wanted to do a big sister little sister program with the local high school. Just so they have a buddy to look up to. Also with these 6-9 year old, how competitive should I be? So many things going on here, just wish I had more help too. :confused:

Well if you have ideas or things that have worked for you, please share. Would love to hear ideas and tips.

Jan 15, 2009
In-House | Softball | Sports | Prior Lake Athletics for Youth

Here's a link to our in house program parameters. If you click on the rules you'll see the different rules we use for different ages trying to make the game fun for the girls and get them hooked young. We do have a travelling program for 10U but for the bulk of the kids we don't make the kids pitch until 5th grade when they have the body and motor skills to pick that up in a reasonable amount of time. By keeping the game fun (i.e. limited amount of 10U kid pitch walk fests) we keep a large number of kids in the sport which allows us to split kids up based on ability and form some pretty good teams that can play together at a high level. I know other areas suffer when they don't have the number of athletes to support in house and traveling. It's one thing to lose most of your games, it's another thing to expect that kids will stay interested in a sport where losing means watching someone walk in run after run. Obviously it's important to support teaching basic pitching at whatever age you transition to kid pitch. If you rely soley on volunteer Mom's and Dad's to teach pitching you will probably fail unless you get lucky enough to get an experienced pitching coach on each team as a parent. You need to pool that knowledge and make sure as many kids get access as possible.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
First off, congrats on getting involved in something really special. You have the unique opportunity, and have accepted the responsibility, of starting something that can really touch alot of young lives in a positive way. Good for you :)

Don't worry about being competitive at this point, your role now (as I see it) is making sure the program gets off on the right path by ensuring all the girls have a positive experience (and at 6-9, that pretty much means having fun and learning the game).

When those girls are feeling good about what they're doing, their pride will show. They'll talk about softball in school, wear their uniform shirts, etc. Their friends in school will notice, and those other girls will want in. Hopefully your program will grow from 2 teams, to 3, to 4 etc.

I see one of your biggest challenges being getting people involved, meaning parents. You said to wished you had more help... Go get it. Simply asking for volunteers doesn't always get it done, don't be shy about walking up to Mom or Dad and blatantly asking for them to help. "Hey, would you mind shagging balls", or " We need some help getting the field ready, would you mind grabbing that rake". You'll be surprised how much parents really do want to get involved, but hesitate to volunteer because they don't see themselves as softball experts.

If the local High School has a softball program, go talk to the coach. I'm sure he/she will be elated to know that they'll be getting more experienced players showing up at try outs in the years to come, and may be more than willing to offer some help or suggestions. They can also identify HS players that can come help the younger girls out too. We run a winter clinic for all our age groups, and I have a half-dozen HS girls that come (voluntarily) every week to help. The younger girls really look up to them, and the older girls feel good about themselves and promoting their game.

Finally, I agree 1000% with SnocatzDad with regard to pitching. You really need to start now at trying to establish a pitching program, and you need some expert help in doing that. Pitching is hard... the motions make NO SENSE to most parents, and if you want these young girls to play competitively when they get older, you'll need some good pitchers in the bunch, some more that can at least throw the ball 35 feet..and the rest of 'em able to hit girl pitching. Keep in mind, this will take a couple years to really establish itself. I'd echo his sentiments by saying raise the money necessary to get a good professional pitching coach involved in running clinics (for players, and also coaching clinics) Your organization will benefit and blossom in the long run.

Good Luck!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
WM, congrats on becoming involved! There are many things I love about Little League, and the dedication of the parents and volunteers is one of them. The other thing I love about LL is that they don't turn anyone away. Everyone, regardless of skill level, can join and expect to play. I believe the only reason my daughter became interested in softball and is in love with the sport today is the all-inclusive nature of LL. It is a double-edged sword however, because rec league play is certainly several steps below TB. However, my daughter is 11 and continues to play both - it's hard to keep her off the diamond and she loves playing with her school friends.

I recently became VP for our softball division in our LL. It has been fun and rewarding, but it is a lot of work. I put a lot of "new" information on our league's website about fastpitch instructors in the area, clinics, equipment, safety, basic pitching drills and mechanics, as well as initiate a "sandlot" program for our kids to come out to the field and play pick up games and provide extra practice time. In PA softball is not a year-round sport for most, and so gathering interest is a challenge in the off-season, but help is out there if you ask for it. Here is the link to our LL (DSLL). Any feedback about improving it would be greatly appreciated. Good Luck!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To answer the question about how long to play in a LL setting--

Girls mature physically at 12 or 13 YOA. Boys mature at 14 or 15. Girls "get serious" about a sport a couple of years earlier than boys. Also, because of the vast physical changes of a girl at 12 or 13, success at 10YOA is not any indicator of success at 13YOA. So, up until your DD is 10, I would let her have fun and just enjoy playing rec league or little league softball. When she begins to physically mature at around 11, then if *she* wants to play at an advanced level, then you should put her on a travel team.

From experience, I know that one of the hardest things for a Dad to do is to walk away from a rec league or LL organization that they have been instrumental in founding. At some point, you have to put the needs of your own DD ahead of those of the organization.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
There are places that take Little League Softball VERY seriously, as much so as travel ball. Just like there are places that take Babe Ruth softball seriously too at under 12 ages. They are few and far between, but they do. Heck, they televise the LL softball world series at 12yo level, dont see them do that for ASA nationals.

You will define what the league is about. It should of course be about FUN at those ages, but that doesnt need to exclude top-notch instruction and hard work with a goal being post-season play for all-star team, etc.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Excellent point mudbug. The LL All-Star tournaments can be some really exciting, competitive, softball.... Our neighboring town ( and district rival ) made it all the way to the final championship game in the LLWS in 08.. I think the girls play in Oregon?

Really great stuff, and you're correct about them taking it very serious.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Yes its in Portland, Oregon. I know of a league my college roommates kids played in a few yrs ago, they sent a team to the LL World Series there as well. I was told that some people drove their kids up to 80 miles or so to play in that league, the coaching was good and it was taken very seriously at 12 yo level. The area produces some very good nationally competitive travel teams too.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie