Sr Year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I think her sequence is bit rushed. Instead having a distinct coil n stretch.

As RDbass said, she weight shifts which is bit rushed.

I understand this ...... I thought the same thing for a long time but IMO what most refer to as “weight shift” or “early weight shift” isn’t the issue. They have plenty of great hitters that fall into the category of early weight shifters. The issue is that most amateur’s that fall into this category give up their ability to create tension in their swing (down stream tension). Because they are actively firing their hips, legs etc...... The body wants to work in a reciprocal fashion but we have to allow that to happen.... The amount of pressure applied to the front foot doesn’t hurt the hitter if they are set up to create cross body tension into contact.

Over the last year I was only able to work with DD a hand full of times.... During this time I gave her two goals........ 1) Move from the middle and kill everything else...... 2) Create as much crossbody tension as possible on every swing...... If you do #1, #2 will be the result but just going through slow motion swings or tee swings with the goal of creating that tension seemed to be an eye opener for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TDS
Feb 25, 2020
My ego is not big enough to offer any tips on this swing. haha.

I think your spot on with the "actively firing the hips" is a bad idea. The best cues are for the hands and feet imo. If You want the hips to work "pull the hands this way" or "move your feet this way" are the way to go.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I understand this ...... I thought the same thing for a long time but IMO what most refer to as “weight shift” or “early weight shift” isn’t the issue. They have plenty of great hitters that fall into the category of early weight shifters. The issue is that most amateur’s that fall into this category give up their ability to create tension in their swing (down stream tension). Because they are actively firing their hips, legs etc...... The body wants to work in a reciprocal fashion but we have to allow that to happen.... The amount of pressure applied to the front foot doesn’t hurt the hitter if they are set up to create cross body tension into contact.

Over the last year I was only able to work with DD a hand full of times.... During this time I gave her two goals........ 1) Move from the middle and kill everything else...... 2) Create as much crossbody tension as possible on every swing...... If you do #1, #2 will be the result but just going through slow motion swings or tee swings with the goal of creating that tension seemed to be an eye opener for her.

Your DD creates crazy core snap (closing the gap/contracting)when whipping the barrel.

J1c5pt0.png

Jun 5, 2019

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting those swings! I'm curious what type of queues/drills you used to get her to understand how to create tension in the middle. What you are you emphasizing in the slow motion swings? Do yo tell her what is going on under the hood with the facial lines or are you able to get her to use the middle correctly without going into that type of detail? Do you tell her to turn from the top or is it more of a bracing action that is used for the hands to leverage against? What is the primary difference between what she is doing here vs what she was doing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00