Sports medicine for very young athletes?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I have seen a rise in the number of physical therapists (including sports medicine, chiropractors, nutritionists) touting their services and the benefits for young athletes. Some of the kids are as young as 4 or 5 years old. Our chiropractor offered to give free physical therapy to my 8yo DD, but she is not comfortable with it, yet?.

Is this a scam by the physical therapists to generate more revenue or are there some benefits to the young athlete. I would love to also hear Marc D.'s take on it?

Oct 12, 2009
I have seen a rise in the number of physical therapists (including sports medicine, chiropractors, nutritionists) touting their services and the benefits for young athletes. Some of the kids are as young as 4 or 5 years old. Our chiropractor offered to give free physical therapy to my 8yo DD, but she is not comfortable with it, yet?.

Is this a scam by the physical therapists to generate more revenue or are there some benefits to the young athlete. I would love to also hear Marc D.'s take on it?

If your kid is healthy, it's a scam.

May 25, 2010
Of course it's a scam.

Life in America = people trying to convince you that something is wrong with you so that they can sell you something to fix it.

Unbiased 3rd-party advice: don't do this to your kid.

Apr 9, 2010
Chiropractors do NOT provide physical therapy. Only physical therapists provide physical therapy! Please do not confuse these BS scams with physical therapy (i.e. physical therapists). Whew....stepping off soap box.....

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd started going to a chiro at 8. She was heavy into gymnastics at the time (and until we pulled her out earlier this year). It helped her a lot and still wants to go, but we have only taken her twice since.
Side note: gymnastics is very very expensive. Oldest dd had back, ankle, knee, and other pains all the time. Training was 4-5 days a week several hours a day. One benefit is they are super strong for their age, oldest could easily do over 30 handstand pushups or close to 50 chin ups. I still worry though about the affects on their bodies when they are older. She was out maybe 3 months before daily complaints of back pain stopped. I am sure it is good for some, but I can't recommend it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan