Sparkler review $$$

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2021
What I gather from this thread is, it is expensive. If you are going to go, it is best to attend during your 16u season if recruitment is the reason you are going. Even then only if your team is good enough to be in the power pool. If not you would be better off spending that money to attend camps, or exposure tournament's closer to home. Could go to quite a few camps for 4k.

Nov 5, 2014
What I gather from this thread is, it is expensive. If you are going to go, it is best to attend during your 16u season if recruitment is the reason you are going. Even then only if your team is good enough to be in the power pool. If not you would be better off spending that money to attend camps, or exposure tournament's closer to home. Could go to quite a few camps for 4k.
One thing I would add is the supplemental power pool I found to be worth it. DD's first year going they were in that. Competition was still very good. Played at main complex with plenty of coaches and you can win your way into the power pool which for us worked out great because they were able to earn their spot in the power pool

Jul 19, 2021
This softball journey is much much more than just a quest for a college scholarship and I wish more parents would realize it. Frankly if that is your main goal, this journey is the absolute WORST financial decision you will ever make. If that's the case, just put your softball money in an index fund and stay home to mow the yard on the weekends.

Now if you are looking for a bonding experience between you and your DD that will create memories that last a lifetime, WHICH IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE ACTUALLY DOING, by all means go to the tournament, regardless of what pools you are in. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to combine a vacation with some softball and you will be grateful that you did it when you look back on your life. Whitewater rafting on Tuesday, softball on Wednesday, Rocky Mtn National Park on Thursday, Softball on Friday. THAT is living. Go for that reason, forget about whether it is worth it for the scholarship exposure.

Oct 4, 2018
This softball journey is much much more than just a quest for a college scholarship and I wish more parents would realize it. Frankly if that is your main goal, this journey is the absolute WORST financial decision you will ever make. If that's the case, just put your softball money in an index fund and stay home to mow the yard on the weekends.

Now if you are looking for a bonding experience between you and your DD that will create memories that last a lifetime, WHICH IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE ACTUALLY DOING, by all means go to the tournament, regardless of what pools you are in. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to combine a vacation with some softball and you will be grateful that you did it when you look back on your life. Whitewater rafting on Tuesday, softball on Wednesday, Rocky Mtn National Park on Thursday, Softball on Friday. THAT is living. Go for that reason, forget about whether it is worth it for the scholarship exposure.

Agreed, though if you want to talk expensive sports, Softball ranks pretty low.

We went to Sparkler as a first-year 14U team and played the Supplemental Pool. Won about 2/3rds of our games, but certainly lost to some good teams. No college coaches (didn't expect any). Expensive.

But a fun trip, lots of memories, loved showing my kids a different part of the United States. It's already a fond memory and will be forever.

Oct 4, 2018

We went to Sparkler as a first-year 14U team and played the Supplemental Pool. Won about 2/3rds of our games, but certainly lost to some good teams. No college coaches (didn't expect any). Expensive.

But a fun trip, lots of memories, loved showing my kids a different part of the United States. It's already a fond memory and will be forever.

1704390479678.png

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

When my daughter discovered her new team doesn't go to Colorado, she was thrilled. She hates pitching there.

May 13, 2021

I agree with the whole financial part of this, you would be money ahead if you just put the money you spent on softball into a S&P 500 index fund and used it to pay for college.
But if we are talking about Sparkler and the other few tournaments that are on or about the same level. Isn't the fact that college coaches from all the big schools attending these events the big selling point. The way they are talked about in general terms that is the reason they exist and were created and the reason teams from all over the country attend. I have never attended so this may be way off that is just the way I hear them talked about. If all the college coaches quit showing up would these teams still participate?

Nov 5, 2014
As I've said before, 200' temporary fences that are 3' high are a recipe for disaster in Denver's thin, dry air.
Yes, Yes, and Yes couldn't agree more, and my DD's not a pitcher. Couldn't believe the number of check swing and mishit HR's I saw in our years there.

The one thing I would add is the thin dry air also makes movement pitches much flatter. Never understood more why Mike Hampton was so bad for the Rockies till I saw how little the pitchers on DD's team could get their balls to break.

Having been in charge of Gamechanger and streaming for many years I watched these kids pitch literally hundreds of games from directly behind the back stop. Never saw them look so bad. Nothing moved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30