Sparkler review $$$

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Those tournaments you mentioned are all good events for regional teams, and even teams that play some National events. That's why you won't ever see a Thunderbolts or Bandits team, though.
Well, you’ll see them - but it won’t be anywhere near one of their top teams. We’ve seen the Bolts at NEF and a Bandits team at the Newtown Rock Summer Challenge a few years back.

May 13, 2023
If families are looking at the Colorado events specific for showcasing.
It is like throwing a needle in a haystack and hoping a college will notice.
Out of the say a guesstimate 10% that are there for real showcasing...
the majority of those already have some sort of connection that the college eyes might be there to specifically attend watching their games.
(That's also because the whole roster on those teams are worthy of watching)

But if you recognize that the far more majority 90% plus do not have that.
You are the needle in the haystack.

If your intention is showcasing~
spending the money that it cost to go to Colorado can be *much better* utilized going to specific College camps where the haystack won't be so large and your daughters might be able to get noticed.
>>Because there will be less players at the college camp and
>>it has a more specific College intent that you are purposely putting yourself in front of that college coach's eyes versus
hoping for any college coaches to wander by in colorado and find your team playing.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023
My DD will be going this year in the 14U Power Pool, with a mostly 13u team sprinkled with a few older girls. Tough to say no when selected to go. She’s excited, my wallet is not.

May 27, 2013
If families are looking at the Colorado events specific for showcasing.
It is like throwing a needle in a haystack and hoping a college will notice.
Out of the say a guesstimate 10% that are there for real showcasing...
the majority of those already have some sort of connection that the college eyes might be there to specifically attend watching their games.
(That's also because the whole roster on those teams are worthy of watching)

But if you recognize that the far more majority 90% plus do not have that.
You are the needle in the haystack.

If your intention is showcasing~
spending the money that it cost to go to Colorado can be *much better* utilized going to specific College camps where the haystack won't be so large and your daughters might be able to get noticed.
>>Because there will be less players at the college camp and
>>it has a more specific College intent that you are purposely putting yourself in front of that college coach's eyes versus
hoping for any college coaches to wander by in colorado and find your team playing.
How it should go is start sending emails/videos early on. Fill out the college teams’ recruiting forms online. Select a few schools in which you are very interested and go to their camps (considering finances) and then keep emailing them updates and schedules. The high level showcases are needed so that these coaches one has developed a relationship with can then see you play against good competition (especially if player is a D1 prospect).

Getting on a showcase team that has been around the block at these showcases, has a college coach following, and a strong recruiting program is also important (even at D2 and D3 levels depending on the schools one is target). It also helps at the college camps because those coaches and recruiting coordinators will make sure the college coaches know who their players are before they show up on camp day.

May 13, 2023
Live streaming games is something every team who is serious about connecting their players with colleges should have. Particularly important because many colleges don't have money to send their coaches.

For families that are playing on teams that do not have this yet it's a great group suggestion to bring to your coach.

If you are a coach and you think you're serious about connecting your players with colleges and you don't have live streaming. You are missing a critical piece of equipment. 😉

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
You talked about getting recruited at local tournaments. In the Northeast, most D1 colleges travel out of the area to see prospects, so attending the local events won't get you recruited.
Well I said most, not all, so certainly anecdotal evidence is not in conflict with what I said.

May 13, 2021
Well, you’ll see them - but it won’t be anywhere near one of their top teams. We’ve seen the Bolts at NEF and a Bandits team at the Newtown Rock Summer Challenge a few years back.
You probably seen a team with a state name before thunderbolts like Georgia Thunderbolts, Tennessee Thunderbolts, Alabama Thunderbolts. That is how you tell the franchise teams. The Birmingham Thunderbolts name is only used by the teams based out of the Bolts facility in Irondale Alabama. These will be the premier teams.

May 27, 2013
You probably seen a team with a state name before thunderbolts like Georgia Thunderbolts, Tennessee Thunderbolts, Alabama Thunderbolts. That is how you tell the franchise teams. The Birmingham Thunderbolts name is only used by the teams based out of the Bolts facility in Irondale Alabama. These will be the premier teams.

Yep, definitely was a franchise team. Still good - but not “the” Bolts. I think they were out of Arizona but it was at least 4-5 years ago so I can’t recall.

Jun 4, 2019
We tried some of the big showcase events this year and we will never do them again. Complete waste of money is what our parents decided. Most of our girls go to local schools on east coast. The competition was very watered down. Live and learn.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My DD will be going this year in the 14U Power Pool, with a mostly 13u team sprinkled with a few older girls. Tough to say no when selected to go. She’s excited, my wallet is not.
I thought those selections don't come out until March for the Sparkler when they do the selection show?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad