Softball returns to Dallas...and everyone ignores social distancing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I was just reading through the USA/ASA Softball new set of rules for COVID-19:
Rule 4, Section C: Base coaches must stay 6 feet from a runner they wish to talk to during or after suspension of play.
In game result:
Runner on 1st doesn't understand sign...looks to 1st base coach for clarification...1st base coach staying 6ft away yells, "STEAL ON THE NEXT PITCH." :LOL:

Rule 5 Section 7: Coaches holding defensive conference must stay on the home plate side of the pitcher’s circle and the player or players must be on the opposite of the pitcher’s circle maintaining the 6 feet distance. No more than 2 players along with the pitcher allowed.
In Game result:
Pitcher who is struggling or facing other team's dominant hitter goes to the far back 2nd base side of the ring. Coach comes out to explain how they are to pitch to other team's dominant hitter goes to home plate side of ring to maintain 6ft distance...then yells..,"WE ARE GOING TO NOT THROW HER ANYTHING SHE CAN HIT. OK? TRY AND MAKE HER CHASE YOUR CHANGEUP." :oops:

Rule 6A, Section 6: No licking of fingers and wiping them off.
In game result:
EVERY girl on the team thats been eating that stringy chewy sugary sour patch kids ribbon candy for the past 5 innings all have sticky, nasty, sugary fingers and now the ball does and their bats do (which could be a good thing) and takes them 5 minutes to put on and take off their damn batting gloves. ???????

:D

Except, of course, none of those rules will be followed. Probably not even read.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It is interesting to read posts where in some areas people are following guidelines, while in other areas same old thing.

Nor Cal has a city ( sb venue) that has been hosting tournaments and games for the past several weekends. With guidelines with application . Includes masks and temperature taking also.
No tournaments in so cal.

Aug 25, 2019
I was just reading through the USA/ASA Softball new set of rules for COVID-19:
Rule 4, Section C: Base coaches must stay 6 feet from a runner they wish to talk to during or after suspension of play.
In game result:
Runner on 1st doesn't understand sign...looks to 1st base coach for clarification...1st base coach staying 6ft away yells, "STEAL ON THE NEXT PITCH." :LOL:

Rule 5 Section 7: Coaches holding defensive conference must stay on the home plate side of the pitcher’s circle and the player or players must be on the opposite of the pitcher’s circle maintaining the 6 feet distance. No more than 2 players along with the pitcher allowed.
In Game result:
Pitcher who is struggling or facing other team's dominant hitter goes to the far back 2nd base side of the ring. Coach comes out to explain how they are to pitch to other team's dominant hitter goes to home plate side of ring to maintain 6ft distance...then yells..,"WE ARE GOING TO NOT THROW HER ANYTHING SHE CAN HIT. OK? TRY AND MAKE HER CHASE YOUR CHANGEUP." :oops:

Rule 6A, Section 6: No licking of fingers and wiping them off.
In game result:
EVERY girl on the team thats been eating that stringy chewy sugary sour patch kids ribbon candy for the past 5 innings all have sticky, nasty, sugary fingers and now the ball does and their bats do (which could be a good thing) and takes them 5 minutes to put on and take off their damn batting gloves. ???????

So ridiculous, if you have a short conversation OUTSIDE with someone, the odds of catching the virus is almost nil.....

Nov 8, 2018
Just for factual accuracy and clarity.
In Texas. Cases are on the rise. Yup.
Hospitalizations have gone up. Yup.
ICU admissions have not changed. Yup.
Deaths have not changed. Yup.

For those ready to pounce. I’m not suggesting we should abandon anything. Just food for thought. We are all adults. Do your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
ICU admissions have not changed. Yup.
Deaths have not changed. Yup.

It is well-documented that these two stats lag behind a rise in cases by up to one month.
So, making decisions now about eased restrictions weeks from now, is a bit risky.

That said, some of the COVID treatment learning-curve is being overcome,
and hospitals are getting a lot better at treating and releasing cases before those last two things on your list can happen.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Definitely taking a step back in Texas. Gov. Abbott increased restrictions again this morning only 1 day after he increased them yesterday. Also, the second time this week in regards to outdoor gatherings. Not sure how this will impact softball tournaments starting tomorrow and moving forward. Will be interesting to see how many local officials explicitly approve a softball tournament assuming softball tournaments are considered outdoor gatherings.

As for outdoor gatherings, Abbott's decision Friday represents his second adjustment in that category this week. Abbott on Tuesday gave local governments the choice to place restrictions on outdoor gatherings of over 100 people after previously setting the threshold at over 500 people. Now outdoor gatherings of over 100 people are prohibited unless local officials explicitly approve of them.

Sep 12, 2019
Definitely taking a step back in Texas. Gov. Abbott increased restrictions again this morning only 1 day after he increased them yesterday. Also, the second time this week in regards to outdoor gatherings. Not sure how this will impact softball tournaments starting tomorrow and moving forward. Will be interesting to see how many local officials explicitly approve a softball tournament assuming softball tournaments are considered outdoor gatherings.

As for outdoor gatherings, Abbott's decision Friday represents his second adjustment in that category this week. Abbott on Tuesday gave local governments the choice to place restrictions on outdoor gatherings of over 100 people after previously setting the threshold at over 500 people. Now outdoor gatherings of over 100 people are prohibited unless local officials explicitly approve of them.
The governors order explicitly exclude youth camps and youth sports, along with a few others. So unless local leaders ban it, they can and will still happen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200626-104735_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200626-104735_Drive.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 16
Nov 25, 2012
USA
The governors order explicitly exclude youth camps and youth sports, along with a few others. So unless local leaders ban it, they can and will still happen.
Good info and thanks for sharing! It is very interesting and definitely up to the local leaders I guess. We played today and fortunately or unfortately made it to tomorrow. I say that as I have to get up at 5:30 am for a 8:00 game...... All good!

That said, the 10U division of the tournament we are playing in got axed last night as it is in Denton County. They said, absolutely NOT and you are done!!

Our division is being played in the neighboring county and I guess the local leaders in that county said go ahead. Pretty much convinced this will be the last tournament we will see for awhile so soaking it in although I am a bit skeptical that we should even be there and playing with another record day of cases in Dallas today. It is a USSSA tourney and they didn't have 1 bit of protective measures in place. No hand sanitizer stations, no social distancing, no nothing. Actually had some team members leave after they arrived today saying there are FAR MORE than 100 people there and they didn't feel comfortable. I get it! I felt the same way to be honest but we didn't leave. It was a hot mess and I wish USSSA would put some sort of measures in place. Again, nothing!! Just like it has always been.

I did hear that there were people there calling the cops that it was a social gathering of 200 plus people but never saw any policemen show up or do anything about it. Could have been a rumor and not saying the cops didn't do there job. NOT saying that at all. I suspect the county gave permission to continue the event but people were shocked a bit when they showed up.

Anyway, and as said above, glad we are playing but not sure we should be and likely this is it before it all goes away for awhile. It will I believe based on the spike we are seeing so will enjoy what I believe will be my last very early morning tomorrow with my youngest DD for awhile. I hope I am wrong but definitely not looking good.

Stay safe folks! Crazy times!!

S3

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Nor Cal has a city ( sb venue) that has been hosting tournaments and games for the past several weekends. With guidelines with application . Includes masks and temperature taking also.
No tournaments in so cal.
Now this same Nor Cal. venue that had guidelines and folks/players applying guidelines.
Has been shut down do to rising positive #'s. Including a few players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr