Softball arm injuries versus baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
So there was a study dome that arm and shoulder injuries occur at the same rate in softball as in baseball. I'm thinking we will see a pitch count or should see a pitch count introduced at the lower levels.

Comment?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Maybe articles like this can help answer the ancillary questions like "Should Pitchers take time off ?" Even if we don't see a way to have pitch counts.

May 17, 2012
So there was a study dome that arm and shoulder injuries occur at the same rate in softball as in baseball. I'm thinking we will see a pitch count or should see a pitch count introduced at the lower levels.

Comment?

That article is hot garbage coming from a website that is trying to sell something. The way they link the references is dishonest once you unpack it all.

Go read the actual linked (reference) papers and not the website.

Nov 18, 2022
Softball is way past the time to have pitching limits.

Girls of all ages are suffering from over use. Crazy

I just don't see tons of girls "suffering from overuse". In 8-9 years I have seen 12-15 go down with tendinitis(some with pinched nerves and 2 or 3 with knees due to poor mechanics- landing at 45 and hyper extending)- some took the recommended time off and did the pt and were fine while some rushed it and came back early or didnt do the pt and went back out again with the same issue. I have seen more infielders and outfielders with torn labrum's than pitcher injuries requiring any type of surgeries. Yes pitchers get injured but the biggest one I have seen over the years is sprained ankles usually from a crappy mound but not overuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I just don't see tons of girls "suffering from overuse". In 8-9 years I have seen 12-15 go down with tendinitis(some with pinched nerves and 2 or 3 with knees due to poor mechanics- landing at 45 and hyper extending)- some took the recommended time off and did the pt and were fine while some rushed it and came back early or didnt do the pt and went back out again with the same issue. I have seen more infielders and outfielders with torn labrum's than pitcher injuries requiring any type of surgeries. Yes pitchers get injured but the biggest one I have seen over the years is sprained ankles usually from a crappy mound but not overuse.

Well, my daughter is one of those *rare* occasions of an overuse injury for a pitcher. Oh wait, they're not that rare. While I will agree that poor mechanics can and will lead to injury, overuse is a major problem.

110+ IP in the span of 45 days would be unheard of in baseball, yet that was my daughter's workload this spring. Five scheduled back-to-back games, and 19 regular season games in 45 days for teams with one reliable pitcher will lead to injuries. Shoulder tendonitis was the result, and it cost her the summer season. She was so worried about missing her recruiting events that she did rush back, and never told us she was still experiencing pain. Now the Ortho gave her a 4-6 mandatory vacation from pitching or throwing overhand.

Maybe we're rare because we're not a softball hotbed, but I've seen numerous girls miss the early summer tournaments due to HS overuse. In fact, some college coaches were lobbying to shutdown recruiting in the fall because the pitchers were burned out and hurt from the constant grind of TB and HS.

Feb 15, 2017
Well, my daughter is one of those *rare* occasions of an overuse injury for a pitcher. Oh wait, they're not that rare. While I will agree that poor mechanics can and will lead to injury, overuse is a major problem.

110+ IP in the span of 45 days would be unheard of in baseball, yet that was my daughter's workload this spring. Five scheduled back-to-back games, and 19 regular season games in 45 days for teams with one reliable pitcher will lead to injuries. Shoulder tendonitis was the result, and it cost her the summer season. She was so worried about missing her recruiting events that she did rush back, and never told us she was still experiencing pain. Now the Ortho gave her a 4-6 mandatory vacation from pitching or throwing overhand.

Maybe we're rare because we're not a softball hotbed, but I've seen numerous girls miss the early summer tournaments due to HS overuse. In fact, some college coaches were lobbying to shutdown recruiting in the fall because the pitchers were burned out and hurt from the constant grind of TB and HS.
I'd argue overuse is what caused Jordyn Bahl's broken arm.

Nov 18, 2022
Sorry to hear about your daughter. But that's exactly what I said if the girls rush back it happens again- that's A LOT of innings in a short period and it's no wonder she had an issue- my daughter threw around the same amount in HS but that was over close to 3 months- I still do not see a widespread tendinitis issue at least around me and that is talking to a few pitching coaches with a ton of students at all levels from SEC commits to big ten down to LL in addition to other parents and players on different teams around the SE. When my daughter pitches a lot in a shorter period of time she may be sore that day but it is always only in 2 places the core, and sometimes the glutes from pushing but never arm, elbow, or back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad