Scorekeeping Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
According to NFCA's ATEC scoring guide and NCAA softball scoring rules, the fact 1B wasn't covered is enough to credit the hit. It doesn't matter whether the throw was in time or not because not covering the base is a mental error.

After that, the runners advanced on a 3-base throwing error by F5 and no RBI for the batter.

Thanks SoCal, I looked at both rules you referenced and they clearly state the runner is rewarded a hit when there is no or late defensive base coverage. I missed it or it never sunk in when I read the rules before. Maybe because this was the first time I had to deal with it. In any case, I agree, I did not give batter-runner an RBI because she and R1 scored on the F5 throwing error.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
LOL. In my third year of SK vs. coach, still trying to get that down!...

Don’t feel like the pregnant pussycat! One of the things that causes more misunderstandings than anything in the game is that there are a heck of a lot of folks who can’t seem to comprehend that there are several different perspectives out there because there are several different responsibilities.

Players are responsible for not just playing the game, but in trying to improve their skills as well. Coaches are in effect teachers, coaches, confidants, administrators, and baby sitters. Umpires are there to administer the rules. Scorers are there to record what’s taken place according to the rules. Parents are there to support their children, the team, the coaches, the umpires, and the scorers, and not necessarily in that order.

Things go fairly smoothly until someone tries to horn in on someone else’s responsibility. :)

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Don’t feel like the pregnant pussycat! One of the things that causes more misunderstandings than anything in the game is that there are a heck of a lot of folks who can’t seem to comprehend that there are several different perspectives out there because there are several different responsibilities.

Players are responsible for not just playing the game, but in trying to improve their skills as well. Coaches are in effect teachers, coaches, confidants, administrators, and baby sitters. Umpires are there to administer the rules. Scorers are there to record what’s taken place according to the rules. Parents are there to support their children, the team, the coaches, the umpires, and the scorers, and not necessarily in that order.

Things go fairly smoothly until someone tries to horn in on someone else’s responsibility. :)

AMEN! Nicely stated.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey

There are a lot of lines there that often blur!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
That said, in my opinion as a coach, it is not the fault of F5. I teach my players to make the throw to the bag, and trust that their teammates will be there. As a coach, I would not have faulted F5, she was doing her job.-W

There is a good chance F4 would be sitting next to me on the bench the following inning!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle