Score the run?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I agree ... like I said, I changed my mind a few times researching this! I am honestly hoping I am wrong on this, but the rules seem to say that is the way it is. I NEVER want to have to make and explain this call.

See the Exception ... at the point that the runner is assisted, the ball is dead. Well, it already was "kind of dead" ... but USA states the baserunners have live ball responsibilities during the home run (during which the ball is dead).

1nyt0o.jpg

Even during a dead ball award, runners still must run the bases legally. There was an MLB play a few weeks ago where a runner did not tag up on a pop fly, but the ball was thrown out of play. The umpire made the award, the runner still didn't tag up and went to the next base. As soon as the ball was put in play (MLB requires live ball appeals), the defense appealed the tag up, and the runner was called out.

Jan 7, 2012
I agree ... like I said, I changed my mind a few times researching this! I am honestly hoping I am wrong on this, but the rules seem to say that is the way it is. I NEVER want to have to make and explain this call.

See the Exception ... at the point that the runner is assisted, the ball is dead. Well, it already was "kind of dead" ... but USA states the baserunners have live ball responsibilities during the home run (during which the ball is dead).

1nyt0o.jpg

Even during a dead ball award, runners still must run the bases legally. There was an MLB play a few weeks ago where a runner did not tag up on a pop fly, but the ball was thrown out of play. The umpire made the award, the runner still didn't tag up and went to the next base. As soon as the ball was put in play (MLB requires live ball appeals), the defense appealed the tag up, and the runner was called out.
I agree with everything you said and your philosophy except the ‘kind of dead’ thing. The ball is dead, period. Of course baserunners have to fulfill their base running obligations during a live or dead ball. That isn’t the issue. The issue is what to do with the home run hitter.I looked at the Exception also and tried to shape it several ways but still wasn’t satisfied. I guess if I could simplify my question I’d would ask someone to point to a rule or case play that won’t allow that home run hitter score. I know this situation is unique and probably very difficult to find anything that specifically addresses it or maybe there is.

May 27, 2022
Another piece of information: the NFHS Case Book, 2020 Edition...

3.5.4: ... coach pushes R1 back toward third base. The ball clears the fence for a home run. RULING: The ball becomes dead with it goes over the fence. R1 is out for being assisted. B2 is permitted to score on the home run unless R1 was the third out, then no run could score. (2-32, 8-6-5, 9-1-1 EXCEPTION f)

Jan 7, 2012
Another piece of information: the NFHS Case Book, 2020 Edition...

3.5.4: ... coach pushes R1 back toward third base. The ball clears the fence for a home run. RULING: The ball becomes dead with it goes over the fence. R1 is out for being assisted. B2 is permitted to score on the home run unless R1 was the third out, then no run could score. (2-32, 8-6-5, 9-1-1 EXCEPTION f)
Thats pretty clear. Thank you for that. And a thank you to MIB as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles